Can someone school me on compression?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I'd like to know the benefits of running different compression ratios? I may (hopefully wont, but may) need to buy pistons and would just like to get some general info.

From what I understand, the lower the compression the less low end (and takes away soem driveability) but you can really push some boost and make power on the top end. But how far can you safely go in the opposite direction? I would rather have low end power and run less boost. Advantages/disadvantages? I assume you can make much more hp with low compression and high boost, but could a high compression and low boost be quicker to a certain point?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'd like to know the benefits of running different compression ratios? I may (hopefully wont, but may) need to buy pistons and would just like to get some general info.

From what I understand, the lower the compression the less low end (and takes away soem driveability) but you can really push some boost and make power on the top end. But how far can you safely go in the opposite direction? I would rather have low end power and run less boost. Advantages/disadvantages? I assume you can make much more hp with low compression and high boost, but could a high compression and low boost be quicker to a certain point?

This is precisely the reason I went with 9.5:1 compression pistons. I had impeccable low end response and daily drivability and even with the laggy turbo you hardly ever noticed it. It was almost like there was no lag at all as a result.

The disadvantage to this is you really have to drop your timing allot and you can't run allot of boost. The most I was able to run with out running negative timing in the high load regions was 22-24 psi. That turbo has just woken up then.

E85 help a bit with that but not much.