Can you guys give me some price estimates?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I will be going by to talk with a local machine shop regarding my STi rebuild. I will need my cylinders bored and honed to match my new pistons, I am bringing 3 sets of rods to check (i numbered them 1-3 in the order i'd like to use if they are good), and a crank to see if it can be polished (if it needs cut i will buy a new one). So I am wondering what kind of range I should be expecting for machine work, crank polish, and balance? I will be going tomorrow so any quick thoughts would be awesome, thanks!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Well I can only tell you what I paid to have that done. For me it was...

Torque Plate bore and hone to match pistons, Clean oil galleys, wash block $300

Cut, polish and balance crank, $175

That's my shop but I don't know what it would be locally to you

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Thanks, I just wanted to have a few ideas before handing my parts over....I am kind of surprised that you acre the only guy that paid to have this sort of work done though haha :roll:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Speaking of which, do you or anyone else reading think it would be a good idea to get a "heres what I paid" thread going. Its nice info to have when going to a shop to have work done. With each post they should have to rate the experience and work done 1-3, 1 being below avg, 2 avg, 3 above avg.
the name of the shop should not be included, someone can pm for that info if desired.

ZachTTLM

depending on the shop figure this work around 400 to 500. I think the "here is what I paid" section is a good idea

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Speaking of which, do you or anyone else reading think it would be a good idea to get a "heres what I paid" thread going. Its nice info to have when going to a shop to have work done. With each post they should have to rate the experience and work done 1-3, 1 being below avg, 2 avg, 3 above avg.
the name of the shop should not be included, someone can pm for that info if desired.

Sounds like a good Idea. :tup: I'm thinking more of a sub forum in the market place. People can then post threads relavant to one thing rather than having to search through a conglomeration of information to find what you are looking for.

I'll discuss it with JJ and Jared.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Id like to see it as a sticky within the engine section. That is where I would go if I were new. A new guy probably wont scroll down that far. Either way would be awesome though. I appreciate the positive feedback, hope we can work something out, im sure it could be helpful.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
It would be nice to have a small description of work that was done as well. Such as with bluedemon's response. (i appreciate your post btw). But that doesnt tell me what $400 went toward. The head work I have done could be different than what you have done.

So a short description, price, and rating could provide some nice info for guys debating on having work done or buying new. It will also let them know if their quote is too high and its time to shop around or if it is in line.

ZachTTLM

Id like to see it as a sticky within the engine section.

I dont think this should be held to just engine work. Do it for everything, I know people are looking for price comparison on body work, transmission work, etc.

Bluedemon_II

Sorry about that. My mind has been wondering with other projects and college.

$400.00 for 5 angle valve job, Port and polish, Bowl blend, Spring and retainer fitment, surfacing and general clean-up. One thing that I have learned is that prices for work here in PR are quite lower than other places.

STimedic

Whatever you do, make sure the machine shop has and uses a set of Subaru torque plates when the bore/hone on your block.