car shut off while driving

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
2007 sti 100k miles car just shut off while driving on the highway in the snow... read the check engine codes on the accessport... forgot the numbers but it said camshaft position sensor A bank 1 and a separate code saying the same thing but bank 2... any help is appreciated i need the car fixed asap... i am mechanically inclided but nvr done one on a subaru

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Im totally out of my element here.

But if you're stranded on the highway and need to get someplace safe, I would try a code clear on the AP and see if you can make it to an exit. Try to write down the codes first, but getting off the road is probably first priority.

If you've made it home and are in need of help, I'm sure better minds will be along shortly.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
Had the car towed to my job close by im on my way home but i tried clearing codes but car still wont start

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
This sounds like a wire harness or a main connector somewhere.

Try unplugging and then re-plugging the main engine harness. It is the two big connectors near the battery. I doubt it is the sensors themselves because it is rare to have both of them go out at the same time. Trace the wire harness back from the sensors and check for chaffing or broken wires.

As previously suggested, reset the ECU and try to start the car. Then write down the code and let us know what they are.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I can remember way back when BADSTi had the same issues with cam sensors and it turned out to be an intermittent wire. His was also a 2007.

I wonder if there is a connection.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
I have a bad feeling the timing belt broke on me... that woukd b my luck and that would turn on those codes if the camshafts arent in position anymore the sensors will read wrong and throw a code

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yes that would do it also, but you would hear it while cranking. Does it sound any different when cranking? Like there is no compression.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You may be right then. it should be easy enough to find out. Just remove one of the timing covers. The drivers side should be fairly accessible IIRC.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
So the timing belt is not broken but i think it may have skipped a tooth... i doubt that both camshaft sensors went bad at the same time

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
UPDATE:
teeth on the timing belt r gone so it skipped i just hope it didn't go too far that the valves are bent.. i was driving in the snow so i wasn't driving fast but we will see once i put a new belt on ill do a leak down test.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'm sorry to here this. I hope to God that there is no valve damage. Can't wait to hear the results of the leak down test. A compression test will also see a bent valve and might be a bit easier to perform.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
UPDATE: car will be towed tomorrow from my job to a local friend of mine to install belt and perform comp/leak down tests. stand by for results. i appreciate the prayers and support guys thank you. we will see what happens.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
UPDATE: not much of an update but i found someone with AAA that will add me to their policy for $28 and i can have the car towed for free today or tomorrow to my buddies house to get fixed. ordered a gates timing kit on amazon $250 shipped and its being delivered to his house today.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
UPDATE: one of the pulleys siezed and caused a few teeth on the timing belt to rip off.. my buddy says it looks like it didnt move that far but he is going to put the new belt on and do compression and leak down tests and see if the motor runs... if not then the tear down begins to see exactly how much needs to be replaced.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
What! How does that happen?!

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
Not sure i wasnt even driving fast like i said it was in a snow storm... luckily the gates timing kit comes with all new pullies the gaskets belt and water pump

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
cylinders 1 and 3 have full compression 120psi! lets see how the other side is.. fingers crossed again

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Fingers crossed!!!