CEL Lean on Bank 1 - why?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I like tactrix more than AP. And i started with an AP. Plus, with tactrix you retrieve more information from the ECU at a much faster rate.
[MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] you said that 1 hour of AP logging is equivalent to about 15 mimutes of tactrix logging? :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I like tactrix more than AP. And i started with an AP. Plus, with tactrix you retrieve more information from the ECU at a much faster rate.
@HolyCrapItsFast you said that 1 hour of AP logging is equivalent to about 15 mimutes of tactrix logging? :tup:

A bit of an exaggeration but it was slower. Not with recent update though. They are on par with each other now.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So is the newest AP eons ahead of the v2 i had? (Sounds like it!))

UPDATE: The tuner who originally did the work is very hard to get a hold of. He surprised me last night by answering my texts. He's thinking that his tune is still in there, and what was flashed on top of it by the dealer was an update, and that's why it's a ragged mess. So the problem is very likely more 'software' than 'hardware'. :)
Long story as short as possible:
Before the dealer did this, I'd had upgraded injectors with a three-port solenoid and the car was tuned to that. When the dealer flashed the ECU, in order to be able to drive it, I had them put the stock injectors back in, hoping that would fix the problem. It's drivable this way, but the CEL is probably still coming on because Franken-tune is wigging out at the fact that I still have the three port solenoid. So it's likely never going to be happy with the stock injectors.
The good news is, I managed to get the name of a reputable tuner in this area who can put my modified injectors back in and re-tune me. I was happy with my STI the way it was, so I just want to get back to that.
The bad news is, he may not be available before two weeks from now.
I'm going to get that Tactrix that you guys have suggested here. I'll be using that to make backups or take logs in future. And if this guy really does a good job, I'll share his name here for anyone in the Tampa area who needs a tune.
Let me know if you have any questions or think I missed anything. I'll update this thread as things change.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Whew man what a mess. Keep us updated! :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
UPDATE: The tuner who originally did the work is very hard to get a hold of. He surprised me last night by answering my texts. He's thinking that his tune is still in there, and what was flashed on top of it by the dealer was an update, and that's why it's a ragged mess. So the problem is very likely more 'software' than 'hardware'. :)
Long story as short as possible:
Before the dealer did this, I'd had upgraded injectors with a three-port solenoid and the car was tuned to that. When the dealer flashed the ECU, in order to be able to drive it, I had them put the stock injectors back in, hoping that would fix the problem. It's drivable this way, but the CEL is probably still coming on because Franken-tune is wigging out at the fact that I still have the three port solenoid. So it's likely never going to be happy with the stock injectors.
The good news is, I managed to get the name of a reputable tuner in this area who can put my modified injectors back in and re-tune me. I was happy with my STI the way it was, so I just want to get back to that.
The bad news is, he may not be available before two weeks from now.
I'm going to get that Tactrix that you guys have suggested here. I'll be using that to make backups or take logs in future. And if this guy really does a good job, I'll share his name here for anyone in the Tampa area who needs a tune.
Let me know if you have any questions or think I missed anything. I'll update this thread as things change.

Let me offer you this in the mean time...

While you wait to be tuned, I can whip up a temporary tune for you to drive on until then. I just need to know all your modifications. We just need the the Tactrix before we can do that.

Thanks guys, especially to HolyCrapItsFast for offering me a temporary tune! I may take you up on that. It took me time to get set up to buy the Tactrix, but I can order it tomorrow and hopefully it'll be here this week. If I can't also set up an appointment with this tuner guy for the next week or so, I'll be taking you up on that offer, just so I at least know I'm not doing any long-term damage to my one-and-only. :) Thanks very much for the advice and support. I've used this as an excuse to start learning the nuances of newer cars and have been reading a lot in my spare time this last week or so. That way, next time "there won't be a next time"! ^_^

Finally! I found a place here that helped me get things right: they put my upgraded injectors in and tuned it. I wanted to drive it for a week before I said anything, and this last week it appeared to run just fine. It was a nice bonus that there were over half a dozen STIs being worked on there just on that day alone, some of 'em exactly the same year as mine.

I had to throw the last of my cash at the fix & tune, but first thing next year I'm going to complete the job I'd tried to start before my move, which was upgraded injectors, 3-port boost solenoid, and exhaust upgrade (get rid of the cat via an nvidia downpipe).

So the good news is, this place would gladly work with me--and thanks all of you for your advice!

The only remaining piece for me to figure out: they love customers to have a Cobb AccessPort so they can just load it with a handful of custom profiles and go...or if I wanted I could go ahead and buy a Tactrix and they'll give me something to work with via that, too. If this is a daily driver, what do you guys recommend? Still stick with the Tactrix for flexibility or go with the Cobb for simplicity?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
My opinion... If you don't mind spending the money, the AccessPort is just easier and flexible. It is a Nice piece of hardware.

Yea I'd go with the AP to keep it simple, specially if your going to have support like that from a local shop.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Since I made the investment long ago, I stuck with the AP. I'm able to switch between maps for my different fuels, if needed in a pinch. I've also downloaded AccessTuner race in the event I get brave enough to start tuning myself but still use the AP as a "flash drive" a logger and scan tool.
It's a bit costly but is very user friendly for those that don't tune, know how to tune, or for convenience. It fits in the glovebox whereas a laptop doesn't.