Choice of Coilovers

SleepyBear

Ok i need all the suspension gurus to help me choose some coilovers. I'm getting tired of hearing all the clunks and clangs from the stock STI struts. I want a good set of coilovers that provide a decent/comfy ride. Willing to spend right around $1,000. Any help will be greatly appreciated it.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
From my reading, I guess I'd go with the Fortune Auto Coilovers for that price range. Maybe the Feal?

For a whole lot cheaper, you can re-grease the stock struts, and even add some zerk fittings to make re-greasing even easier in the future.

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I used to have Apexi coilovers on my STi which I replaced because of the horrible shape
they were in. I opted to go with Tokico D-spec 6-way adjustable gas shocks and RCE
(Yellow) lowering springs. Personally, I feel that the ride quality is far more comfortable
and the performance is very comparable to my previous coilovers. These shocks are much
easier to tune (the damping rebound) than the coilovers ever were. I can adjust all 4
shocks in 10 minutes or less. I like how that allows me to adjust the attitude of the car,
especially since I am wingless and the rear end feels lighter at speed, which I try to tune out.

I have the RCE Yellows, like I mentioned, but I have always wondered what the RCE Blacks
"Regular Guy" springs feel like (they are a bit softer than the Yellows "Street/Track"). I imagine
that if you don't plan to track the car, or only rarely compete in Auto-X, the Blacks might be
nice for you.

I know you were thinking coilovers, as I was for a long time, but I hope this helps you out in
making a decision.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
The shocks and springs can get expensive real fast though... :|

I bought everything I needed from TiC, if I remember correctly.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
H&R on mine. A simple and tough coilover for about 1200.00. Nice euro ride with Bilstein dampers.

Raszaron

I had Tien Flex on my 07 STI. They were great on nice smooth roads, but when I moved to a place that had extremely horrible highways the ride was back breaking! It didn't matter how I adjusted them.

LOL, I just noticed your location, that is where I felt like my back was breaking! What is up with the "speed bumps" in the middle of the freakin interstates there?!? Seriously, I don't know how well $1,000 coilovers will handle the roads there in the summer because the repairs on the roads swell due to the concrete expanding when it gets hot. On my Forester I am using KYB's with Swift specific lowering springs, not the same as the STi, but way more comfortable than my Tien outfitted STI was.

Last edited: