Clutch issue

SleepyBear

Just got back from deployment on July 3rd! Woohoo! Anyways my STI was sitting the entire time for 5 months. When i parked it everything worked fine. Now i went and started it and let it idle for 10-15 mins went to shift and i can't put it into any gear at all. i managed 1st gear once. When the car is off i can put it into any gear. Weird...... So i drove around in 1st gear to see what happened and still couldnt change gears. There is no grinding at all. I do smell clutch though. I looked in the reservoir and there was black deposit in there. Another thing i noticed while the car is in 1st gear and the clutch is pushed all the way in and i start the car it just takes off at a steady coast. The clutch is still fairly brand new as well.

Currently had the car towed to a Subaru Dealership out here in Va Beach, Perry Subaru. They are doing their diagnosis on Monday.

imprezed04

The clutch may have fused to the flywheel due to pressure from the pressure plate. I had the same issue with my GTR 32 in Japan when it had sat for a while. I had to turn the car off, put the car in first or reverse (make sure you're not going to hit anything) and start the car WHILE IT WAS IN GEAR. Ease up off the clutch and press the clutch in, repeat. if the car stalls it's not a terrible issue, just restart it and repeat.. after 3-5 mins doing this is the GTR it eventually broke free and everything was fine. It's probably due to the temperatures where you live, and the moisture in the air..Just a thought though. I hope everything is alright with your STi though.

SleepyBear

Oh wow. That could be a good possibility. I'm leaning towards a faulty slave cylinder but I'll see what the dealership has to say on Monday.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Sorry to hear about this bobby. Just when you were finally beginning to make some head way with the car.

SleepyBear

Yeah it was running perfect!!! I think it's something minor though. Everything was fine when i parked it before deployment.

SleepyBear

Just got off the phone with them. The mechanic is saying after doing some tests its the throwout bearing. So now they have to take the tranny apart.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I have to believe Imprezed's assessment of the situation. I believe the clutch disk is fused to the pressure plate and the flywheel. This has happened to me in the past with other cars.

SleepyBear

tranny got tore apart today by the dealership. Throw-out bearing is shot and the clutch and flywheel are rusty as hell they said. I went ahead and got online and bought a Competition Stage2 clutch kit and an OEM flywheel and had them shipped to the dealer. I have everything 2nd day air mailed. Hopefully be back on the road again here very soon.

SleepyBear

yeah plus being gone for 5 months on a deployment with knowone driving it deff caused the issue. Last deployment i had someone who could drive it. This time I didn't.