Clutch Start Safety Switch Bypass

eric.marsh

Want to start your car without pressing in the clutch pedal? This a $3.00, simple and easy modification that even the most electricaly challenged individiuals (inculding me) can complete! ***Note*** do not do this if you park your car in gear. Also I can only confirm this works for 04 STi, however other models should be similair if not the same.

Alright things you will need:
-Wire stripper
-About 2 inches of 16 gauge wire
-2 pin spade connector set
-Flashlight
-beer?

The connector set that i used looks just like this one and can be purchased from any automotive store and most hardware stores for about $3 or less.

*1 Male Connector piece
*2 Female Connector piece
*3 Female Spade Connectors
*4 Male Spade Connector
(you will notice the male connector houses female spade connections and vice versa)

Procedure:

1.) When working on anything electrical, its typical practice to disconect the battery.

2.) Get your flashlight handy and look under your steering wheel. Follow the clutch pedal up and locate the two connecters on your clutch pedal assembly.

3.) Unplug those two connections. You will be using the male connector off of your factory wiring harness.

4.) Get your wire strippers and wire handy. Strip about .5 inch of rubber off of each end of the wire. Then grab your two (#4) male spade connectors. Slide the stripped end of wire into the spade connector. clamp down the 4 little metal tabs and it should look something like this.
**note** my first time crimping sucks, you will want the tabs clamping down on the wire to be more flush rather than sticking up

5.) stick both male spades into your (#2) female connector peice.
**Note** The spade connections are not fully pushed in, in this pic. You will want to push them in untill you hear a slight click. Also the left side is properly crimped or clamped down vs the right side is not :)

6.)Now plug that peice into the male connector off of your factory wire harness and viola! You have successfully over rode your clutch safety switch!

7.) Almost there! Reconect your battery, keep your foot off the clutch, make sure your car is in nuetral and she should start right up!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing with us. ;)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow nice write up!!!

:04ftw:

Alright, that's pretty easy. May have to do this about the same time as I install a switch in my test connector circuit (with the set of plugs from a donor car for an easy job).