Cobb AP Yay or Nay? On new STi

I'd put a poll if I could xP

But yea would you use the Cobb AP? I know the general pros and cons. I just want to see the answers of the community in which direction it mostly leans on specially with the history of the tune on these cars. I just want the engine to run as smooth as possible and might stay at stage 1 for a long time. I just want to add a few parts here n there and the rest is aesthetics for the '15 STi I'm planning to order here in the next 2-3 weeks.

So Yay or Nay or depends if dealer is "Mod Friendly".

What's funny is the sales guy I was speaking to asked me if I was going to track it so maybe the place I went to is? By small chance haha.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!

But yea would you use the Cobb AP? I know the general pros and cons. I just want to see the answers of the community in which direction it mostly leans on specially with the history of the tune on these cars. I just want the engine to run as smooth as possible and might stay at stage 1 for a long time. I just want to add a few parts here n there and the rest is aesthetics for the '15 STi I'm planning to order here in the next 2-3 weeks.

What's funny is the sales guy I was speaking to asked me if I was going to track it so maybe the place I went to is? By small chance haha.

In all honesty It really doesn't matter if you go with the AP or OpenSource. IMO it is six in one and half dozen the other. I guess you have to ask yourself... Is all the extra fluff and the convenience of an AP really worth the $600 price tag? I don't think so but others may feel differently. :tup: It is a nice accessory though.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
After dealing with both, I will always suggest a Tactrix cable over and AP! :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!

Actually what year STi do you have. I don't think the ROM definitions are available in ECUFlash and RomRaider yet for the 2015 so in that case you have to get the AP.

I have to check the RomRaider forums to see if that is true

I'm only somewhat familiar with the Tactrix world as my previous car was able to be tuned by it.
I guess I should of added if price didn't matter lols. But I'd be surprised if they weren't supported yet, the car has been out for quite some time now.

More or less the main question is, would you tune it during your warranty period for the better general safety of the engine. So far it sounds like everyone is pro tune and don't run stock :p

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Actually what year STi do you have. I don't think the ROM definitions are available in ECUFlash and RomRaider yet for the 2015 so in that case you have to get the AP.

I have to check the RomRaider forums to see if that is true

I found they have them in the "Experimental Definitions" Section (courtesy of our very own TD_D)

sacnvz

My plan is to go with the Cobb AP but that will be months down the road, maybe years. For the amount of money I spent on the car I want to appreciate it for what it is. However, with that said, it's hard not to buy anything for the car. LOL I ordered the perrin pitch stop that just arrived today. So my plan is to basically focus on getting the current power to the ground and tightening up the suspension. Once I'm satisfied with that for my driving style then I can look into engine mods.

Oh so going back to your question. I'm going with Cobb because there is a tuner not far from me that specializes in Cobb.

My plan is to go with the Cobb AP but that will be months down the road, maybe years. For the amount of money I spent on the car I want to appreciate it for what it is. However, with that said, it's hard not to buy anything for the car. LOL I ordered the perrin pitch stop that just arrived today. So my plan is to basically focus on getting the current power to the ground and tightening up the suspension. Once I'm satisfied with that for my driving style then I can look into engine mods.

Oh so going back to your question. I'm going with Cobb because there is a tuner not far from me that specializes in Cobb.

Oh yea? Protuner in the area? I got 3 around me that aren't too far up here in WA. Tacoma, Redmond, and Shoreline. I wonder if anyone on here has experience with any of them.

But yea, I think I'll be on intake, catback, and ap stage 1 for the longest time, I just want to stay away from the bad stock tune. Enjoy the car at that form till I get closer to paying it off one day lol. But all these smaller things I'll do, I have a thread on that here http://igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php/8309-Part-ideas-15-STi-Expand-my-current-list

Yea I know it is the way to go, I always had the chance to use them on the 06 11 STi's.
I'm only moding lightly for the 15 so I'll prob revert it back to stock for servicing which shouldn't take long. I've seen the WRX's have been getting beta maps(lot more attention), have the STi's been getting that same treatment from Cobb on those beta maps? They had the car for awhile now but it just seem's progress is slow lately, specially the lack of Stage 2 on a same engine. I also tried asking them about the redesigned air box but they still have no ETA for when that will be released.