Cobb stage 2 vs Perrin stage 2 (AP)

STIfever32

whats up everyone, im new to the subaru world and going to have some questions here and there about performance parts and what people may think about them.. My first question is about the AP what do you think is better Cobb stage2 or Perrin stage2 AP.. Thanks again

Grinder34

Track Monkey
i wanted to say welcome, even though i dont know the answer to your question!

If you become a premium member you can get a protune from one of our resident tuners though! ;)

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Welcome.

I have used both. When I get to a comp tonight I will tell you my impressions. Tapatalk no good.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Again, Welcome. Take a look around and enjoy the forum. Now, for your question.

OTS map is just that, Off-The-Shelf. This means that the map is not tailored to your specific car, climate and altitude. This map is general, usually safe, and not meant to uncork the most amount of power or even driveability.

Don't expect a time machine Dalorean from an OTS map.

I ran Cobbs OTS stage 1 map for a week prior to installing Perrin's OTS stage 2 and Cobbs OTS stage 2 about a week or two before Cobb's protune. 3 years on one OTS map or another and wished I had done a better tune sooner.

Cobbs OTS stage 1 map was pretty smooth and responsive. The map felt considerably better than Subaru's stock map. Butt dyno said there was a nice increase in power and driveability. One week later I received my DP and CAI and installed the hard parts and reflashed to Perrin's stage 2.

Perrin's Stage 2 left something to be desired. It was bumpy and boost seemed to come on a bit later than Cobbs stage 1. Power actually felt down. There was a massive stumble around 3-3.5k rpm. I called Perrin and Perrin corrected the problem immediately. They stated they were aware of the stumble and sent me a new map. I installed and the power band was smoother, no stumble smooth. The new map felt better but was still nothing to write home about. The Power band was very short. From about 3.5k to around 4.8k. Before 3.5k there was no power and the car felt very laggy and was very disappointing to drive. After 4.8k the car fell on its nose and ran out of steam very quickly. The low RPM drive was what really pissed me off, as this is where the majority of driving was at. Butt dyno says the more power but in a very narrow rpm range. Fun to drive if you can manage to stick within that range.

Shortly before the protune, I switched to Cobb' stage 2 as I had just about enough of driving a turd. Cobbs map further smoothed the power and brought a bit more in on the low range. The upper range felt a small margin better but still nothing great. The biggest improvement was as I said, the power band in the low range. Overall driveability improved. However, Perrin's map had more power, when it finally came on, but at a much shorter rpm range.
Overall, between the three, Cobbs OTS stage 1 map felt very good. Perrins stage 2 map felt worse than Cobb's stage 1. Cobb's stage 2 felt better than Perrin's stage 2 but only marginally better than Cobb's stage 1.

I wouldn't spend money on Perrin's stage 2. Luckily I got it free with the AP purchase. (a promo they had going on at the time). When it comes to between the two, Cobb wins because of the overall driving experience.

Cobb = smooth and consistent but a bit less power.
Perrin = short, explosive power band but a lot to be desired outside of that range.

Now that I have a protune, by Cobb, (E70), I can say that a protune is the only way to go. They will and can tune for the overall driving experience. Meaning, your casual, low rpm shifts and throttle input will be light years better than any OTS map. Power will be smoother and more consistent. Plus, they can also make the factory turbo pull much better in the upper revs. This car is an absolute pleasure to drive now and I don't feel myself hating buying a turbo 4, anymore.

My opinion is that skip the extra purchase of an OTS map, like Perrins or Crawford. Utilize Cobb's OTS maps and when you are ready, get a protune. Nothing will be better than a custom tailored map for your driving style and your car.

Find a reputable tuner in your area and go the extra expense and forget about farting with OTS maps. OR become a premium or platinum member and have one of our very knowledgeable tuners either do it in person (if your close enough) or have them do an E-tune. FOR FREE. DID I SAY FOR FREE!!!

Ask away if you have more questions!

Pay to play I say. Give some money (membership) to IGOTASTI and pick up a free etune. I got my 04 with Cobb stage 2 already installed and to tell you the truth I was happy with it. Then I started to have a slight wastgate problem with overboost so I started talking with Holycrapitsfast (tuner) and he whipped me up an quick map to test it out. I was so surprised with the low end power and drive ability I almost forgot I had a WG problem that needed to be taken care of. After some back and forth with new maps and logging he found the sweet spot and I will tell you it was like night and day. I guess you can say it was a Holy OTS map :)

I paid my membership and am now in the process of getting a full eTune. Surprisingly they (the tuners of this site) are well organized and have a database to maintain the data/car that is being tuned, very professional if you ask me.

I would call the decision to become a premium/platinum member a no brainer. You not only get the eTune but there is so much more. Give a pm to Holycrapitsfast or Fujiwara and have a talk with them and they can let you know what they might be able to do for you.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yes in a nut shell Cobb good... Perrin bad.

The thing with the Perrin OTS map is that it is optimized for thier intake. When you use the Perrin OTS on a car with any other intake, it will not perform as expected or optimally. Cobb OTS maps don't mess with the stock MAF calibration so it is inherently tuned for use on the stock intakes. Furthermore if you happen to use the Cobb intake, there is no need for them to make an OTS map specific to their intake because it is so well designed, the flow characteristics are the same as the stock intake. So in that respect, one size fits all. Cobb makes other OTS maps designed for use with AEM intakes as well which are not ideal for stock or their own.

Essentially if you are using an intake other than Stock or Cobb, you should have a pro tune.

Last edited:

13STI

Hey everyone! I am currently using a cobb tune, stage 2 with AEM intake on 93 octane. (I bought the tuner because i was told it would work with "13'', little did I know i have a different ECU) Since my Sti is brandy new i had to wait for a tune for about three months. Also being stubborn I did a complete exhaust system with a K&N Typhoon 2 intake. Besides the codes and the BS random power kill sessions it liked to throw at me it was rugged and un friending. But then as soon as Cobb opened the gates I download the stage 2 tune. I cannot tell you what a difference it makes for me i now spool @ 3k and it smoothed out my boost range and made the car a whole new animal. But then again from the way i broke my car in or what it turns out i have a factory freak. I ran my buddies 1999 4.6 32 valve running 435 chp and bone stock my front tire was at his back tire up until 140 mph then i started to creep. So I dont know how cobb will treat you but it is definitely worth a look!

johnny5

Im new to the site and keep reading about a free pro tune if I up grade? sounds awesome. Wheres the info on this.

Thanks, johnny