Diesel Vs. Gas And E85

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So with our engines, you can use either gas or E85. I saw that diesel JDM boxer engine from Subaru yesterday in that 22B and was wondering:

Can diesel engines use E85? What else can be done to a diesel engine, fuel wise? Or can there even be anything done?

:tup:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
So with our engines, you can use either gas or E85. I saw that diesel JDM boxer engine from Subaru yesterday in that 22B and was wondering:

Can diesel engines use E85? What else can be done to a diesel engine, fuel wise? Or can there even be anything done?

:tup:

No. Because if the way a Diesel engine works, high volatile fuels no worky. They use high compression to squeeze the bang instead of spark.
You can use biofuels like peanut oil, vegetable oil, etc. in place of petroleum products.
Actually the Diesel engine was developed in the 1800's and originally design to work on peanut oil. It's just that petroleum came along and was much cheaper and more plentiful.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So how do you get a higher output in power from a diesel engine?

Also is there a difference in regular diesel engine and a boxer diesel?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
So how do you get a higher output in power from a diesel engine?

Also is there a difference in regular diesel engine and a boxer diesel?

More fuel.

Actually you can run gas in it it's just that it needs the oily mess diesel is to lube.
I forgot in a pinch you can use gas and then add some oil to it.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok. Also another question. My dad keeps my oil from oil changes. He adds little by little with each fill up. Is this because of the "lube"?

To the jetta tdi

IVIrSTi

I own the new 13' TDI's but i dont really think i can get E85, Diesel is 40 Oct, E85 i dont know it, but i believe my diesel cant handle it

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Ok. Also another question. My dad keeps my oil from oil changes. He adds little by little with each fill up. Is this because of the "lube"?

To the jetta tdi

Huh? He adds oil to the gas?
If so, that might be his theory.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Huh? He adds oil to the gas?
If so, that might be his theory.

Yeah he adds a little bit. I wanna say about half a quart? With every single full tank fill up. Ill ask him today why. Remember. He grew up in europe in the 80/90s. Things might be SLIGHTLY different! :lol: German cars are the best in his eyes.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
He adds oil to the gas? Didn't you say it's a Jetta TDI? Those are diesel. If he's adding oil to a tank of diesel,
I'd assume that is indeed for lubrication purposes. I would never fill a diesel tank with gasoline and oil, I'm sure it
would go kablooey.

People with diesel trucks run vegetable oils, grease from deep fryers, used motor oil, etc. as fuel. They generally
have to be filtered by some method. My coworker has an F-250 that he has a 65 gallon auxiliary tank for vegetable
oils, motor oil, etc. Besides filtering (he uses a centrifuge), the only other consideration is the temperature of the fuel.
In many cases, if you are going to run an auxilary fuel system in this manner, you need a heater of sorts.

There's all kinds of options, some even route coolant lines through the auxiliary tank to heat the fuel. If not
warm enough, the fuel is too thick for the injectors and pumps. Either way, even with heating the fuel, you
generally need to start the engine on diesel and then once you've reached operating temperature, you can
switch over to the oils.

Some people add a small amount of diesel, kerosene or sometimes gasoline to a large tank of waste oil to
thin the mix. Others run what is known as "Waste85", 85% waste oils 15% diesel.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Holy crap thats a lot of info! Awesome stuff!!! Thanks! :tup:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
There is a book I have pertaining to biofuels. It is very informative. I'll try to find it.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Most diesels run two-stroke oil in the tank when they fill up. Helps keeps the pump lubed.

IGOTACUMMINS.COM is where that info came from. I can get the link for you if you want.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Most diesels run two-stroke oil in the tank when they fill up. Helps keeps the pump lubed.

IGOTACUMMINS.COM is where that info came from. I can get the link for you if you want.

Yep. I've heard of that. Some guys do and others don't.
On the subject of used oil, I don't think I would because of the trash that might be in it.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Yeah he adds a little bit. I wanna say about half a quart? With every single full tank fill up. Ill ask him today why. Remember. He grew up in europe in the 80/90s. Things might be SLIGHTLY different! :lol: German cars are the best in his eyes.

Arguably, the diesel fuels today are cleaner with less lube and this may be why he does it.
Nothing wrong with German cars, they have their quirks but so does every other auto.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Yep. I've heard of that. Some guys do and others don't.
On the subject of used oil, I don't think I would because of the trash that might be in it.

My coworker's centrifuge does a great job separating out all the trash in it.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I asked him a little bit ago and he said it's to lubricate the injectors.

Brooksie365

Diesel engines are much more efficient. With the average gas engine only using 18% of the energy produced by combustion diesel use a minimum of 30% of that energy. I went to school for diesel and just recently left the field and i have never heard of anyone adding oil to there fuel. The oil will add a resistance to burn and actually create a lot more blow by which creates carbon. When the resistance to burn is to high the combustion will not happen when the piston is in the proper position causing loss of power. Diesel fuel is rated in cetane not octane.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Diesel engines are much more efficient. With the average gas engine only using 18% of the energy produced by combustion diesel use a minimum of 30% of that energy. I went to school for diesel and just recently left the field and i have never heard of anyone adding oil to there fuel. The oil will add a resistance to burn and actually create a lot more blow by which creates carbon. When the resistance to burn is to high the combustion will not happen when the piston is in the proper position causing loss of power. Diesel fuel is rated in cetane not octane.

Hmmm very interesting. Well do you know if in fact the oil does lubricate the injectors then?

Brooksie365

Hmmm very interesting. Well do you know if in fact the oil does lubricate the injectors then?
Injectors are lubricated by the fuel. If you have every gotten diesel on your hand you will notice it leaves a film like texture on your hand. which is more than sufficient due to the simplicity of an injector. Diesel has more of an oil base than gas. it is closer to crude oil then gas is. that is why diesel was cheaper than gas before. now that they have put all types of over the road tax's on it its more expensive.

Dhubb228

To increase the power in a diesel u need to stuff as much air/ fuel possible into the cylinders at the proper piston position(injector timing) obviously with the proper air/fuel ratio valve timing ect. Most likely adds oil to the fuel for better lubrication in the injector pumps/ injectors. Most diesel injector pumps p100, vp44,cp3,cp4 ect.. The pumps are lubricTed by the natural lubricity of the diesel and in today's new low sulfur Eco friendly bs diesel u loose power and lubricity. Most people recommend using ATF to add to the diesel for lubricity.. As for extra power basically the more injection timing without loosing the "swirl" effect in the cylinder the longer the fuel a
has to get hot makes for more compression more power...