does intake really need a tune?

motoman931

ok guys my buddy has a 03 bugeye with turbo back exhaust. he is looking into getting a aftermarket intake. he doesn't exactly have the budget to go off and get a $500 tune. if he was to get a say cobb intake does he really need a tune? everything ive read is mixed emotions

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Err on the side of caution. CAI's can lean the mixture. Our cares are particularly sensitive to a lean mixture.
I just wouldn't chance it for the sake of not much gains and noise given no tune for it.

motoman931

yeah thats what ive read and completely makes sense. i have a few buddies that are running intake without tunes but i would rather him do it the right way.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Agreed. It's like scoring a hot date with that intern three cubicles down and forgetting your party hat. Sometimes your left with a post coital party favor.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
As long as he gets the Cobb 65mm intake then you don't require a tune per say. The Cobb intakes are .5mm smaller than stock so fuel trims will always run more negative and WOT will be slightly rich. However to make things perfect you should tune. I believe the only one that truly does not require a tune is the SPT. It is designed and manufactured by Subaru (I believe) and is a direct drop in.

Regardless there is no advantage to replacing your intake unless you are going bigger turbo and more flow. You will see no gains. The stock unit flows the best especially if you couple that with a K&N filter. :tup:

Bluedemon_II

In some cases the car will stall with a CAI due to the lean mixture and turbulence created in the intake track. This needs to be tuned out so that you don't experience said problems. A BOV in conjunction with a CAI will make this problem stand out. You can drive around with it, but I wouldn't stomp on it until it is properly tuned.