Does the "GrimmSpeed Air Oil Seperator" work?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I'm thinking of buying one of these, and I wanted to see what everyone though about it. Thanks, JJ.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
No first hand experience but I've heard people like it.
Personally I'd go with the moroso cans. I like mine.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
No first hand experience but I've heard people like it.
Personally I'd go with the moroso cans. I like mine.

I don't want to add a catch can to be honest as it takes up space, but thanks for your input.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I know of a few cars that have experienced issues with the GS AOS.

To put it bluntly, it's fine for a car that isn't ever really driven hard. And by that I mean the guys who have tried this design who actually drove their cars hard ended up having oiling issues. The one person I know that has zero issues drives like a grandma most of the time.

Thanks Fuji. I was wondering about this. Would a catch can be better then?

finallymysti

I've heard (from v8 guys) that there are better options than the moroso. I'm running the saikou Michi catch can set up and am happy with it. for the price, $120 iirc, u can't get a better one. I personally don't like how the catch mesh is right up against the outlet on the moroso.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
So Fuji for me this is a waste of money then?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
JJ, I wouldn't put one on my car -- even if it was free -- I'd keep the stock system before using this.

Thanks.

That's all I needed to hear. :tup:

finallymysti

I have the info on my laptop brand wise, but I know the reasoning behind the against moroso, and I agree and am pretty adamant about is that the steel wool that the oil accumulates on is right next to the outlet and this allows more oil to pass thru. The other/better ones. A) have more capacity b)have baffling design that puts the oil baffle/mesh a distance(1/2 inch but enough) away from outlet, C) have various pass through/chambers. Now I'm basing this off of the Sti kit that moroso makes, there universal product may be better.

Fuji just to be clear I appreciate and respect u and acknowledge u know more about drivetrain things than me. But I stand by my thoughts on the moroso kit for the $$ there are better cans

liltripg17

If you have really any mods the Grimm speed will slack. And you will still have the same issues. I have not got a chance to run Crawford's AOS on my personal car. But have used a few on builds. Its a catch can design that still returns the oil to your pan so you don't have too. My buddy has a 420whp sti and runs the Crawford unit with no issues.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Rock on man, I'm not saying your stuff isn't as good -- or better -- just wondering the why.

I'm wondering why as well. Let me rephrase that a bit...not so much why, but what is the necessity? I understand the idea
behind an AOS/Catch Can (wait a minute...is there a difference really?) but what really justifies this part? I understand that some
things are engineered the way they are because (and this is a shitty reason, but it happens ALL THE TIME, trust me) it works
"well enough" as is, and the addition of another part means more money in the budget for the manufacturer. I've seen engineers,
change components on a circuit board from a $0.30 capacitor to a $0.20 capacitor to save money, because $0.10 means a lot
over the course of literally millions of units produced....but I'm getting off topic.

Basically, I wonder whether an AOS/Catch Can is really that necessary considering that Subaru didn't install one during manufacture.

I hope everyone follows where I was going with this...

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I want to know the same thing!

finallymysti

I'm wondering why as well. Let me rephrase that a bit...not so much why, but what is the necessity? I understand the idea
behind an AOS/Catch Can (wait a minute...is there a difference really?) but what really justifies this part? I understand that some
things are engineered the way they are because (and this is a shitty reason, but it happens ALL THE TIME, trust me) it works
"well enough" as is, and the addition of another part means more money in the budget for the manufacturer. I've seen engineers,
change components on a circuit board from a $0.30 capacitor to a $0.20 capacitor to save money, because $0.10 means a lot
over the course of literally millions of units produced....but I'm getting off topic.

Basically, I wonder whether an AOS/Catch Can is really that necessary considering that Subaru didn't install one during manufacture.

I hope everyone follows...

I think I follow. the reason to install one is because, in my mind, not in any particular order, A) you won't coat the intercooler with oil so you get better intercooler efficiency, b) oil brings down the octane and make you more prone to knock. how effective it is can be tough to tell. at the latter is tough to tell with out having one tank of gas. seeing how aggressive you can go with a tune until it knocks. then essentially add the amount of oil to the intake charge that blow by occurs then go and see if you need to adjust significantly to figure out how much it actually matters. for the former you would want a pre and post intercooler temp probe, and test the intercooler that is clean and one that is coated with oil and see the difference in intake temp.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Is this really proven, or is Grimmspeed just making a pretty part.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
In the opinion of anyone here that knows from experience, or even theoretically, are there certain modifications or conditions
that may exist, that increase the amount of oily vapor that returns to the intake system? i.e. if you're pushing more than 20
psi of boost and taking a bunch of hot laps on a road course, is this a factor increasing the necessity for an AOS? More or less,
a DD street car with light mods doesn't need one, but a 500whp track monster does need one?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
My opinion is that all of us, regardless of mods, should look into some kind of can.
Given the crappy factory tune, the week pistons, basically danger of detonation, I believe the cans to be a wise safety measure.
Some track conditions may warrant actually disconnecting the cans, iirc?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
My opinion is that all of us, regardless of mods, should look into some kind of can.
Given the crappy factory tune, the week pistons, basically danger of detonation, I believe the cans to be a wise safety measure.
Some track conditions may warrant actually disconnecting the cans, iirc?

So a catch can would be better then the Grimmspeed?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member