Engine Oil

Oil Recommendation

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chinky_STi

im just wondering. i went to subaru for my first oil change which is free. they told me that they put synthetic oil in the turbo cars which is fine. after the oil change the rep told me i dont need to come back till 7,500 miles i said no im going old school and come back every 3k. she also inform me that they put 0w- i forget synthetic. but i forgot to ask why. i thought we took 5w-20 i think. (dont mind me i forget things bad memory) but its also $100.00 for an oil change now why is that whats so special about subaru synthetic oil? and why 0w- oil? can som,e please explain this to me.. thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
$100! Holy rip off. I heard 5W-30, but never what she said. I run 10W-30 Dominator from Amsoil, and in my opinion is way better then anything the stealership sells.

Chinky_STi

yes that is exactly what i said wth so much for a oil change.. im just going to do my own or go to azp or broken motorsports for an oil change.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
yes that is exactly what i said wth so much for a oil change.. im just going to do my own or go to azp or broken motorsports for an oil change.

I agree. :)

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
im just wondering. i went to subaru for my first oil change which is free. they told me that they put synthetic oil in the turbo cars which is fine. after the oil change the rep told me i dont need to come back till 7,500 miles i said no im going old school and come back every 3k. she also inform me that they put 0w- i forget synthetic. but i forgot to ask why. i thought we took 5w-20 i think. (dont mind me i forget things bad memory) but its also $100.00 for an oil change now why is that whats so special about subaru synthetic oil? and why 0w- oil? can som,e please explain this to me.. thanks.

Read the owners manual. It will have recommendations for change intervals and fluid types.

0W30, most likely is what they said.

30 weight oil is what is recommended.

Zero vs. 5 or 10, etc, just means the oil will remain fluid to a lower temperature. People in colder climates typically use a zero W?? oil. It's a bit thinner.

the 20,30,40 means that the oil will act like those weights at operating temp.

Don't put anything less than a 30 weight oil. 5w20 will not be good.

I would not go over 5k on an oil change in a forced induced vehicle. Turbos and superchargers are hard on oil.

Check oil consumption on every fill up and add oil as needed. Our cars can drink oil like beer and with only four quarts in the pan it doesn't take long to get low.

Nothing is special about Subaru oil. It is made by some big brand and rebranded Subaru.

100? Your paying for labor. Probably half an hour plus the goods.

Change your own and save some cash. I use Rotella T6 (5w40). I change about 5k miles or 5 months and send yearly samples to Blackstone... I don't drive but about 8k miles a year. Spend about $48.00 per change.

ICY STi

I'm currently running the baseline type amsoil. I was wondering what other people run in their cars and why? Also being in Alaska what weight and vis should I go with here. I'm due for an oil change. Thanks.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I'm currently running the baseline type amsoil. I was wondering what other people run in their cars and why? Also being in Alaska what weight and vis should I go with here. I'm due for an oil change. Thanks.

I run Rotella T6, 5-40 oil. Blackstone seemed to like it's properties and durability. Seems also a lot of subie guys tend to use it, as well. I notice less oil consumption and a bit quieter motor.

As for you in Alaska? Oh boy. I would think 0 w 30 or 40 in the winter and maybe 5w 30 or 40 in the summer?? Ask around your local area and see what comes about. Try some Canadian forums? I am sure block and/or pan heaters may be necessary for you all up there, as well.

This is just something I have never had to deal with given my balmy, by comparison, winters in Okieville. We did have a -31* temp one morning in Feb 2011, just north of the metro, but that's a freak occurrence. Usually our lows are in the +teens and highs in the 30's and 40's during the dead of winter.

By the way, I'll trade you spots for now. It was 102 damn degrees today...

ICY STi

Thanks for your input. Right now I am running the amsoil base line oil. I did get a block heater installed right when I got up here. Most people are saying here in anchorage they are not needed but it's better to be safe then sorry.

Today it was about 59 and sprinkled all day. Really nice weather. Haha. I'm loving it up here so far. I got three years left up here haha.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
PM me with full shipping address and phone number. I can get an exact total for you that way. Thanks pal.

ICY STi

Hey Jj I know this is going to be hard for you to estimate considering you never drive your STi but how often do or would you suggest to change the oil running the dominator?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Hey Jj I know this is going to be hard for you to estimate considering you never drive your STi but how often do or would you suggest to change the oil running the dominator?

I would change at 3000 miles if your going to run it hard, and 4000 miles if your not beating on it all the time.