Engine swap

jdogsmith

I currently just hit 153,000 miles on my 2000 outback. Have done a lot of up keep on it. Still is in great shape and runs fine. My plan has been to keep this until I can afford a wrx. At 19 years old a wrx is still a while down the road. So, I recently just started seriously thinking about a engine swap. Now, currently I am kinda entering this idea pretty blind. All that I know is that apparently from what I researched I will need a EJ25 long block engine, which from what ive seen is pretty expensive near the 3k or 3500 range. Also adding the turbo kit would put another grand on top and the install of the engine. My question is would this swap be worth the money? Also would i just be better leaving the outback alone and just continue to shoot for my wrx goal? Also how do i really go about this project? Like if i decide to do it, I would love to try and stay under 4500 if that is even a possible thing to do? I live in Chicago (Merrionate park) to be precise. Is there a subaru shop that someone knows of that would be able to help me with this idea? Like could help me find this engine and possibly give me a estimate and this whole thing. Any input on this would help so much just trying to fiqure out what would be best mind all over about this. Thanks:shock:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Are you thinking of putting an STi motor in it?

I would say save your money and wait for the wrx. The rest of the car and drivetrain may not be strong enough for the new engine.

If your were to swap it you would need the ECU and harness from the doner car as well. Also the clutch configuration may be different so you would have to look into whether it is a push or pull type clutch. That will determine if you need to Frankenstein something or get a new transmission. You don't want to use the stock clutch system with the STi motor if that is the way you are going. It will never hold.