Essbon's Subaru Impreza WRX Type R STI Version 5 - Pic Heavey

essbon

Subaru Impreza WRX Type R STI Version 5
Model code GC8F2DD

Little history of my car?
My weekend toy is a Subaru Impreza WRX Typer R STI Version 5
This car has only had one other owner from new who imported this fresh from the factory from land of the rising sun back in 1999.
When I picked her up from a small local garage in Macclesfield, she was pretty much standard, only mod was the HKS Super Dragger centre section and backbox. other than that bog standard, previous owner had kept all receipts of all work and service carried out, so she had been very well looked after.
few pics from the show room

Within the fist week of ownership, car went straight to www.Scoobyclinc.com for a checkover, a full service, all fluids changed, new cam belt and a set of Defi Gauges (Boost, Oil Temp and Pressure)
the car was in great condition, and drove really well,

In 2009, it was time to change the power plant out with the 2.0 litre, in with a 2.5 (EJ257) STI bottom end, Mahl forged pistons, version 5 heads (from my old engine) skimmed, standard turbo was kept VF28, scoobyclinic oil cooler, to keep them temps under control. After a running in the new engine, she was mapped on an Apexi Power FC with Commander and made pretty good power on pump fuel (Shell V-Power 99RON) 295BHP 350 FtLbs
Only downside, the standard MAF could not cope with the extra air flow, and I was going through 1 a month, I even had to resort to running with spares in the car. This was quickly resolved an a Nissan MAF Z32 30P00 (compatible with the Apexi) was fitted. This fixed the issue and no more MAF failures.

2010 and next major work, was to attend to the rusting rear arches, so old arches were cut out and new ones fitted. A V6 front lip was also fitted, to tidy up the front end.

2011, and the standard VF28 turbo died. So in went a scoobyclinic SC46 turbo, 740cc injectors, K&N Cone Filter and Scoobyclinic turbo inlet hose. due to standard 5 speed gearbox still being on the car, mapping was conservative so not to put too much stress on the transmission - 350 BHP 350 FtLbs.

With the extra power and close ratio gear box, the car was awesome, but the limiting factor was now the brakes, the standard STI 4 pots were not up to the mark, and brake fad was an all to common occurrence, so a set of AP Racing 6 pots with 330mm rotors were fitted to resolve this problem.

standard brakes

a little bigger and fit nicely inside the 17?s

2012, the SC46 turbo was swapped for a SC38, Apexi Power FC and commander swapped for an Alcatek ECU including Anti-lag and Launch Control. an STI 8 TMIC was fitted, as this is bigger than the OEM item.
The smaller SC38 turbo is superb on the 2.5. It spools early down the rev range, and combines with the torque from the EJ257, resulted in a very fast road car.
Power 363 BHP 382 FtLbs

My next focus was looking at the handling and some Rear STI trailing arms and lateral links or ?Pink Bits? as I like to call them were ordered from Japan.

2013 first mod of the year was changing the exhaust system. I must be getting old and I no longer wanted a loud noisy exhaust, but something subtle, have the JDM feel and look and quiet enough for track days. After many weeks of hunting and searching, I finally made my mind up. A Fujitsubo RM-01A was needed. second hand units were hard to come by which were in good condition, and that were not Jap style and angled up. I contacted japanparts.com who informed me this exhaust is no longer available for my model. However, they contacted Fujitsubo who very kindly made one to order for me. Result.
One slight problem, this exhaust is a once price from down pipe back, so picking this up from FedEx was interesting

Next focus, handing.. The car was subjected to a track day had great fun, but the handling was not great and the Hot Bits DT1 coil overs (fitted a few years back) were not really up to scratch. So new rubber went on, a set of Yookohama Advan AD08?s, Bilstien B16?s custom modified by Bilstien to my tuners specification (www.chevronmotorsport.com), 24mm front and rear Whiteline roll bars, STI new age front alloy arms fitted and machined for more caster, Whiteline top mounts and STI group N rear top mounts, SuperPro bushes
Not cheap set of mods, but totally worth it and completely transformed the car, and gave me more confidence to push the car harder on track days?

2014 - Back end of 2013, the broke the standard 5 speed gearbox after my second track day, it was time to source a better and stronger box, which could handle track day abuse, launching etc?
Late in 2013, I stumbles upon a complete 5 speed PPG straight cut gearbox with a Kazz plated front diff, going cheap. after a few months, I was not getting on with the box Specially the diff, and missed the close ratios of the standard JDM 5 speed box. PPG was sold and in went a JDM 6 Speed from a version 8 STI with matching rear diff. At the same time the box went in a few perrin goodies were added to improve the 6 speed shift response, new Exedy Pink Box clutch, lightweight flywheel and crank pulley.

This pretty much brings us up to date. There are a few more mods in the pipeline, there is always something to change and upgrade. Below you will find the most recent pictures of my car after a full detail and a full modifications list.

thanks for reading

Full Modification List

Engine

EJ257 Short Block
Mahl Power Pack Pistons
Scoobyclinic Turbo Up Pipe
NGK BKR7EIX Spark Plugs
Zero/Sports 1.3 Bar Radiator Cap
740cc Injectors
SC38 Billet Turbo
Perrin Turbo Blanket Black
STI version 8 Top Mount Intercooler
Carl Davey Bonney Under Tray
Scoobyclinic Silicon Turbo Inlet Hose 56mm Red
K&N 57i Induction Kit
Alcatek E1S99 ECU with L/C and A/L
Zero/Sports Radiator Cover
Scoobyclinic Front Mounted Oil Cooler
Fujitsubo RM-01A Full Decat Twin Resonator Exhaust
GFB Recirculating Dump Valve
Hydraulic Carbon Fibre Bonnet Lifters
Walbro Uprated Fuel Pump

Drivetrain

SCR 6 Speed lightweight Flywheel 6.7Kg
Exedy 240mm Pink Box Clutch Kit, Anti Judder & Pressure Plate.
JDM STI 6 speed DCCD gearbox
Perrin 6 Speed Short Shift Adapter
Perrin Shifter Bushing Kit
Perrin Rear Shifter Bush
Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley Black
Perrin Pitch Stop Mount Black
Perrin R180 Rear Diff Cover Black
SuperPro Rear Differential Support Bracket Mount Bush Kit

Suspension

Bilstein B16 Suspension (customer Modified)
Whiteline KCA335 Front Top Mounts
Whiteline front and rear adjustable drop links
STI Group N Rear Top Mounts
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
STI New Age Front Alloy Wishbones machined for more camber and caster
SuperPro Bush Kit
Chevron Motorsport Bump Steer Control Arms
Whiteline 24mm Rear Anti-roll Bar
Whiteline 24mm Front Anti-roll Bar
Whiteline Front Lower Strut Brace
STI Pink Lateral Link Set (Full Pillow)
STI Pink Rear Trailing Arms

Wheels / Tires

Rota Grid 17x7.5? ET48 5x100 PCD Bronze
Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 Tyre 215/40/17 83W

Brakes

AP Racing 6 Pot Brakes
330mm rotors
Ferodo DS2500 pads
Goodridge braided hoses
AP Dot5.1 brake fluid

Interior

Zero/Sports 60mm Gauge Pod
Defi 60mm Gauges (Boost, Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature)
Defi Control Unit
Pioneer AVH-P2400BT Double Din Head Unit
Perrin Fat Billet Aluminium Shift Knob Matt Black
STI Aluminium Pedal Set
STI Stainless Steel Side Sill Entry Guards
STI 8 Steering wheel

Exterior

Impreza Version 6 Front Lip
STI Bonnet Vents (OEM)
STI Limited Roof Vent

Gearbox Ratios
TY856WB4KA code
DCCD (35:65)
A.P. Suretrac automatic DCCD system

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow! :bow:

What an amazing read! Such an awesome way to show the history and progress of your car. This is especially awesome to see for us over in the United States where we never see amazing cars like yours! :tup:

Thanks for all of the pictures! Car looks stunning and I bet it performs insanely awesome! :tup:

:ty:

essbon

Thanks Alin

Yes goes very well, very drivable on the awful UK roads
Are you able to import Type R's into the USA?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I dont think so. I believe they have to be 24 years old before you can import a car in, especially if rhd. The big thing this year was that the r32 gtr was importable.

essbon

I see...
Snap one if if you can, these Type R and Type RA's are becoming rare and are going up in value :tup:
We are seeing new imports here in the UK starting around ?9k or $15k

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Hahaha. First you need the money to buy the car, then you need to pay shipping and import fees. Price sky rockets! :doh:

There are barely any gtr's let alone rarer STi's. :tdown:

junkwasp

Awesome car bro love the type R
I need to get one saving hard not sure if the mrs will let me
Are they still importing type R into the uk
I have two STIs but your one is fab
We have loads of 94 to 99 impreza here in NZ
NZ must have the biggest selection of jdm cars loving it
We have heaps of evo gtr
Good luck with any future mods on your car

Drumking30

Incredible read and picture detail!! Your car is truly amazing. I just purchased my second STi at the beginning of this year. I'd love to have the 2 door once my kids are grown and out of the house I MUST ask....how much did all the mods cost when it was all said and done? Oh and did you do your own paint and body work on it because it looks great. I've been painting cars for a living for the last decade and I must say silver is not an easy color no matter who the manufacturer is.

Awesome! :tard:

essbon

Man that is an amazing machine!!!

Thanks chap

Awesome car bro love the type R
I need to get one saving hard not sure if the mrs will let me
Are they still importing type R into the uk
I have two STIs but your one is fab
We have loads of 94 to 99 impreza here in NZ
NZ must have the biggest selection of jdm cars loving it
We have heaps of evo gtr
Good luck with any future mods on your car

yeah still see imports coming in starting around ?9k or about $19k NZ dollars according to days exchange rates, but I'm sure you have differing import taxes etc...
I did own a UK spec Impreza and drives few others, but IMO its all about the JDM's.

Incredible read and picture detail!! Your car is truly amazing. I just purchased my second STi at the beginning of this year. I'd love to have the 2 door once my kids are grown and out of the house I MUST ask....how much did all the mods cost when it was all said and done? Oh and did you do your own paint and body work on it because it looks great. I've been painting cars for a living for the last decade and I must say silver is not an easy color no matter who the manufacturer is.

If you can find a Type R get one, they are only going up in price as they are getting rarer by the day
Current cost of mods? Lots and lots, I do have all my recepts from all the work done and I have roughly added it up... It's its quite scary
www.scoobyclinic.com do my body work. The car does need a full respray and arches doing again :(

Awesome! :tard:
cheers chap

essbon

Time for a little update to this thread and provide a little teaser of whats to come....

So yesterday, I popped up to SCR (www.scoobyclinic.com) and finalised the next set of mods and gave the all clear to proceed

to name a few items being added...
Syvecs S6 ECU
FMIC
Various fuelling upgrades
SC42+ Turbo (which I think is the Blouch 1.5 XTR turbo)
plus much more.......

I'm not chasing a power figure or number, IMO its how it drives and handles which are important, specially on our awful UK roads

I'll update this thread as things develop over the winter weeks/months

essbon

another little update

few things are progressing with the 2015 winter modifications

Takata FIA 4-Point Harness in Green
OMP Velocita Superleggero 350MM 3 spoke Flat 350mm steering wheel Black Suede
Lifeline Quick Group N Release Steering Boss

Timing belt covers sprayed crinkle Red

[URL="http://s150.photobucket.com/user/essbonney/media/Web%20Forum/History%20of%20my%20R/IMG_1325.jpg.html"]

Docking Engineering Front Mount Intercooler Sprayed Black

[/URL]

Custom FMIC pipework sprayed crinkle black

Still more to do... to name a few

fit newly painted inlet manifold (crinkle red)
fit billet fuel rails, fuel regulator with fuel lines
fit and plumb Perrin Air Oil separator
Fit Syvces S6 ECU and SCR sensors

hope to provide more updates next week as things progress :)

essbon

Few updates this week, things are progressing nicely

Timing belt covers fitted
Inlet manifold with billet fuel rails fitted
Perrin Turbo Inlet pipe fitted
Cusco Brake Cylinder stopper fitted
FMIC fitted with pipework fitted loosely while inner wing induction pipework is fabricated

Still quite a bit to do...

essbon

build nearing completion, just waiting on the the GT Spec Gen 2 headers and up pipe to arrive
standard headers were a restricting flow and these should release some more ponies :thumb:

engine bay looking a little dusty but will be cleaned shortly

Works Bell hub (Short) finally with lifeline quick release and OMP 350mm steering wheel, with a few wireless buttons configured for Launch Control, Anti lag, horn and finally a button to switch between different maps and boost settings

essbon

Few pics of the engine bay looking cleaner

Still a few tweaks to sort out
While mapping car developed a misfire at 1.7 bar, so this has been backed off to 1.5 bar.
New leads have arrived so fingers crossed this fixes the misfire issue and we can wind the wick back up
Also, few issues with the Club Spec buttons on steering wheel. Getting accessional interference so they don't function all of the time. However these are being removed as the Syvecs Bluetooth Model for the ECU is being fitted so I can see real time data on my iPad or iPhone and still switch between different maps etc...

essbon

Been a while since i last posted on here,
lots has changed with the car over the past year
the issues mentioned in previous post was all sorted and car was fully mapped and working fine.
a few months later August 2015 I sold the engine to a friend, after he blew his up....... again

During the Autumn/Fall the car has had a full exterior respray, perfect opportunity while the engine was out, and gave me time to think about the next engine build

image-jpeg.42749
image-jpeg.42750
image-jpeg.42751
image-jpeg.42752
image-jpeg.42753
image-jpeg.42754

image-jpeg.42755

essbon

While car was in for paint
I had quickly decided on a 2.35 build after all the research and talking with my engine builder and mapper

Just as I decided on the build a friend just decided to sell his EJ22 CDB and internals so obviously I quickly i snapped his hand off.
the next decision was the heads and turbo.
I wanted to ensure the car was still drivable on our British roads (which are awful) but also to be a bit of a track weapon.
After many conversations and debate, we settled on Version 7 Small port AVCS heads (better for spool) and a rotated Garrett GT30, with an end goal of around 500+ BHP on Shell Vpower (99 RON)

We opted to go for a K1 Technologies billet crank as this has better oiling at higher RPM than the standard 2.5 crank

The Version 7 Cams were sent away and were machined to a Spec C profile

the clutch certainly needed upgrading so in went an Exedy twinplate Racing clutch,
TBH I find this clutch much lighter and easier to drive specially around town than my previous uprated one

As part of the build process the crank, clutch, Perrin crankpully were sent away for balancing to ensure everything was in sync and harmony with each other
once the these bits arrived back the engine was assembled with a few final mock ups to be finalised

then it was time to fit it to the car

To keep the car looking relatively standard looking and not wanting to cut bumpers etc..., I decided to have the oil cooler mounted behind the drivers side fog cover, housed in a custom fabricated housing. Air flow will be via a P1 fog cover and from the vent underneath the indicator, more pics will follow once the P1 cover has been painted and fitted

The Perrin Air Oil separator and pipework has been installed, a new custom FMIC pipework has been fabricated and painted in crinkle black, Fuel Flex sensor fitted so I can run methanol and the Syvecs ECU will adjust timing depending on the fuel mixture percentage, and wastegate finally arrived, so the exhaust and rotated downpipe was been fitted

After running the engine in for a 1000 miles it was finally mapped

Power at the Wheels
fuelling is sport on and boost is a bit 'wobbly' but peaks at 1.9 bar but holds it much better on the road

Next 2 graphs are a comparison between my old engine 2.5 and this build. As you can see the BHP and Torque are very similar low down between the 2 engines
blue line - 2.5
green line - 2.35

With this graph the current 2.35 and turbo setup is slightly laggier but not a great deal in it
amidlandscoobies-invisionzone-com_uploads_emoticons_set1_thumbsup-gif.49666

pink line - 2.5
orange line - 2.35

this pretty much brings us up to date
there are still a few tweaks and mapping bits to sort out, but overall, the car is stunning

few pics of me on track at the famous Nurburgring Nordschleife track during my European road trip to drive up Stelvio pass

essbon

for those who are interested here is a full spec list of my cars build and mods with a video of me driving round my local sprint track (PS apologies for the whiney power steering pump)

https://youtu.be/koD7xaQO6os

Engine

• EJ22 Closed Deck Short Block
  • K1 Technologies Crankshaft
  • Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley (Black)
  • Mahle EJ22 Forged Pistons
  • Carrillo Rods
  • ACL Race Bearings
  • ARP Head Studs
  • RCM 98mm Headgaskets
  • Superrtech Valve Buckets and Shims
  • Hardrace Engine Mounts
  • JDM Version 8 AVCS Small Port Heads
  • Camshafts machined to a Spec C profile
  • GSC Valve Springs and Retainers
  • RCM Spec C Baffled Oil Sump Pan
  • NGK PFR7B Spark Plugs
  • STI 1.3 Bar Radiator Cap
  • Standard Fuel Rails Custom Modified to a Parallel Configuration
  • Fuel Flex Sensor
  • 740cc Side Feed Injectors
  • Newage Coil on Plug Conversion
  • JTI Coil Pack Conversion Loom
  • Version 5 Inlet Manifold
  • SCR Belt Guide
  • Cosworth Kevlar Timing Belt
  • Timing Covers (Sprayed Crinkle Red)
  • Docking Engineering Front Mount Intercooler (Sprayed Black)
  • Custom Intercooler Pipework (Sprayed Crinkle Black)
  • Docking Engineering Radiator (Sprayed Black)
  • Perrin Air Oil Separator (Black)
  • Perrin Electronic Boost Controller
  • Perrin 4 Bar map Sensor
  • Perrin Fuel Regulator
  • Garrett GT30 Billet Turbo (10 Blade)
  • Turbosmart Hypergate 45 External Waste-gate (Blue)
  • Perrin Turbo Blanket (Black)
  • RCM Turbo Induction Hose (Black)
  • RCM Induction Trumpet
  • K&N Air Filter
  • Mocal 19 Row Oil Cooler
  • Syvecs S6 ECU
  • RCM Rotated Up and Down Pipe Kit
  • RCM GT Spec Gen 2 Headers & Up Pipe Wrapped
  • Wide Band Lambda Sensor
  • Fujitsubo RM-01A Full Decat Twin Resonator Exhaust
  • Hydraulic Carbon Fibre Bonnet Lifters
  • Walbro LP400 Fuel Pump
  • Perrin Battery Clamp (Black)
  • Perrin Belt Cover (Black)
  • Newage Power Steering Pump, Pipes and Resivoir
  • Perrin Oil Filler Cap (Black)

Drivetrain

• Exedy Hyper Twin Plate Clutch Kit (inc Flywheel)
  • JDM STI 6 speed DCCD gearbox
  • Perrin 6 Speed Short Shift Adapter
  • Perrin Shifter Bushing Kit
  • Perrin Rear Shifter Bush
  • Perrin Pitch Stop Mount (Black)
  • Perrin R180 Rear Diff Cover (Black)
  • SuperPro Rear Differential Support Bracket Mount Bush Kit

Suspension

• JDM Version 8 Quick Rack
  • ASPerformance Custom Modified UJ joint (built from a GC8 and GDB racks)
  • Bilstein B16 Suspension (Custom Modified)
  • Whiteline KCA335 Front Top Mounts
  • Whiteline front and rear adjustable drop links
  • STI Group N Rear Top Mounts
  • Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
  • STI New Age Front Alloy Wishbones machined for more camber and caster
  • SuperPro Bush Kit
  • Chevron Motorsport Bump Steer Control Arms
  • Whiteline 22mm Rear Anti-roll Bar
  • Whiteline 24mm Front Anti-roll Bar
  • STI Pink Lateral Link Set (Full Pillow)
  • STI Pink Rear Trailing Arms
  • Spec C Stout Mounts

Wheels / Tires

• Rota Grid 17x7.5? ET48 5x100 PCD Bronze
  • Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R Tyre 215/40/17 83W

Brakes

• AP Racing 6 Pot Brakes CP5570-1000.G8
  • 330mm Grooved rotors
  • Pagid RS29 Pads (Front)
  • Goodridge Braided Hoses
  • AP Dot5.1 Brake Fluid

Interior

• Dash Sprayed Matt Grey
  • Zero/Sports 60mm Gauge Pod
  • Defi 60mm Gauges (Boost, Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature)
  • Defi Control Unit
  • Perrin Fat Billet Aluminium Shift Knob (Matt Black)
  • STI Aluminium Pedal Set
  • STI Stainless Steel Side Sill Entry Guards
  • Takata FIA 4-Point Harness in Green
  • OMP Velocita Superleggero 350MM 3 Spoke Flat 350mm Steering Wheel Black Suede
  • Lifeline Quick Group N Release Steering Boss
  • Works Bell Short Hub
  • Calibration Switch for 1.0, 1.5, 1.9 Bar boost
  • Launch Control and Anti-lag Rocker Switches

Exterior

• Impreza Version 6 Front Lip
  • STI Bonnet Vents (OEM)
  • STI RA / Limited Roof Vent
  • P1 Drivers Side Fog Cover