Exhaust Cut-Out Question

04ssti

I want to put an electronic exhaust cut-out in the straight part of the down pipe, but I have my wideband o2 sensor in that section and I still want to be able to utilize the wideband when the cut out is open. would it cause any problems or miss readings if I moved the o2 sensor back (closer to turbo)?

Thoughts and suggestions please.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Good question. I don't know the answer cause I have never tried that. If I was to take a guess I would say that would work with no problem, but I can't say for sure since I have never done that. Let's see what some of the others say. Great question by the way. :tup:

04ssti

Thanks.
Yeah I don't see why not, only reason I asked is because it seems like the o2 sensor is located in the same spot in the downpipes, so I didn't know if there was a reason for that.
I would put the cut-out a little further down but I have 2 resonators, 1 in the mid pipe, and 1 in the beginning of the axle back. I have the Invidia g200 cat back.

BTLBUGEYE

On my setup, I have the cutout after the downpipe, made 15 more awhp on the dyno. I just welded a flange after the downpipe and bought a y pipe from summit racing and put the cutout right to it. The only thing ive noticed is that the car sucks balls down low cuz of no back pressure, but when spooled its nite n day difference.

mysti

Yep like they said before me... it is actually better closer to the turbo most aftermarket downpipes have the pre made hole about 5 inches behind the turbo. It gets you better reading but your afr sensor will not last as long. As far as a cut out I have the same thing. I was only able to gain 5tq with the cutout yet I lost 1 hp which was kinda funny.

Vermont

I know at least for the AEM UEGO that the directions suggest a distance of 12 inch's from the turbo so as not to burn out the sensor. I have that same O? bung that DKDunn04 was talking about. I would not put the wide band as close as that too the hot side of the turbo. I could defiantly see that burning out and/or give out poor quality readings.

Bluedemon_II

The readings will not change significantly to a tuner from those 2 locations, I have tested the 2 and have found no differences in the A/F readout. Sensor life on the other hand will be exponentially shorter.

Vermont

I know at least for the AEM UEGO that the directions suggest a distance of 12 inch's from the turbo so as not to burn out the sensor. I have that same O? bung that DKDunn04 was talking about. I would not put the wide band as close as that too the hot side of the turbo. I could defiantly see that burning out.

Corrected! :D