External Wastegate sht closed after sudden loss of power

melia

I was driving my wife's 08 STI stage 2+ and i went WOT to get onto the freeway. when i went into 4th gear i felt a sudden loss of power and immediately let off the gas. The car felt fine afterwards so i tried to do it one more time i 1st gear to see if i notice anything wrong and my boost gauge showed 25 psi and i couldnt hear the wastegate. its setup to run at 20psi on the stock turbo. the car starts and idles just fine, no smoke. Does anyone have an idea of why my wastegate is stuck shut now? what can i do to make sure i didnt damage anything?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
There should be a way to set up your boost controller so that you're only running mechanical wastegate pressure. That would tell you for sure if your wastegate is the issue.

It might be as simple as running a vaccum tube straight from the turbo to the wastegate?

Gah i cant think right now. Im sure someone more knowledgable will step in with a good way to diagnose the issue.

melia

Solenoid may have failed. A number of things could be the issue including issues with the internal springs of the wastegate. Start going through things. Also, it could be a tune issue. Log wastegate duty and Max wastegate duty. It is a colder part of the season and some people don't know how to tune electronic boost controllers for when the temps drop. Likewise, if you have a manual, turn it down.

im running a grimmspeed ebcs. Shouldnt that have prevented my intake manifold from seeing 25 psi?

melia

good call guys. the hose that goes from the ewg to the turbo came off. it was repklaced and now all is good. thanks for all the help