Front mount intercooler

Grinder34

Track Monkey
You CAN but with a stock turbo its a step back in performance. You may have to adjust the tune though if you were to go ahead with it.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I don't like an FMIC with a stock or even small turbo on the subarus. The length of the exhaust runners inhibits performance a bit. IMO. What this translates to is when adding an FMIC you are increase plumbing length and volume on the other end. This added area to fill increases lag.
I looked into years back but decided against it due to the STi TMIC bring pretty darn happy and keeping plumbing volume at a minimum.
If you were to go ahead, I would suggest crunching some numbers and pay close attention to tube diameters and length. Also pay attention to intercooler core size and tank volumes. Basically, keep things small in volume to minimize the downsides.
I never really got to crunching numbers and real planning but this makes sense to what I know. I would also stay away from kits as they mostly seem tailored to large volume for large turbos. Self design and engineering may be necessary. This was my route at one time.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Have you considered a larger top mount intercooler? With or without methanol?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
On a 20G or smaller turbo I would recommend not going with a front mount at all for many of the reasons suggested. At that point it's like putting a VTA BOV on your car for nothing more than the cool factor. You should work on heat management. Look into turbo blankets and heat wrapping exhaust manifiolds and down pipe to reduce heat soak. Use reflective tape on the end tanks of the intercooler. Consider a larger more efficient top mount. Stay away from the ebay intercoolers.

Fitzs04scooby

I appreciate all the feed back I was looking into a bigger turbo so was wondering if the top mount would still be ok to use cause I heard its better to use a front mount. I'm gonna look into the heat wrapping I never thought of that

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Depends on the turbo size and what your usage is.
What turbo are you going to run?
FMIC and TMIC both have advantages and disadvantages.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
A few really successful builds I've seen have been with a large TMIC and generally a 20g turbo. I've
seen a couple with a GT30 turbo and a large TMIC + Meth injection. Generally though, it seems like GT30
is about the limit of most TMICs. Set up properly, I suppose you could run a GT30 with a large TMIC but
I think the addition of water/meth helps keep things a little cooler (when you consider extended heat soak,
i.e. if your TMIC equipped car is being run on the track).

I'm sure others with a little more knowledge can expand on what I said, and/or correct me a bit.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Good info...
[url]http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?1707-Intercooler-FAQ

[/URL]

Also, though turbo lag (also exasperated by a large FMIC system) does suck,
you learn pretty quickly how to drive in a manner that defeats the effects of
lag. For example, when I'm in the middle of a turn at half throttle or less, and I'd
like to accelerate out of the turn, I just put my foot down a little bit earlier.
You learn to time it, allowing boost to come back up for when you need the
acceleration. You'll also learn quickly what gear you should be in, for the speed
you are going, to produce faster boost response when you do go WOT.

I do miss my TMIC for the short auto-x tracks though....maaan, the boost response
seemed instant compared to the big FMIC.

All in all though, I don't find lag to be as big of an issue as some people do.

(The reason I went with a FMIC is because my future power goals are ~475whp.)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Just to conter I was making close to 550 before my car took a shit for the last time and that was with a tmic and e85 with an AMR T60R

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Just to conter I was making close to 550 before my car took a shit for the last time and that was with a tmic and e85 with an AMR T60R

Well that's because you're a mad scientist :lol:

(But the e85 probably helped make a TMIC more of a reality, right? Or no...?)

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
400ish plus or minus is the point where pump gas numbers start to warrant a FMIC.

E85 is race fuel that cools charge temps. I've seen a 35R push 848whp with e85 -- in other words your infer cooling efficiency doesn't mean as much with e85

Final answer is quite simple -- there are plenty of things to upgrade well before the intercooler that will make power for less money regardless of which intercooler you choose.

Spend your money wisely.

What I was thinking, concerning the e85, with the cooling effect it has in the chambers, maybe you wouldn't be quite as worried about knock due to whatever heat soak you may encounter with a TMIC.