Helmets

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
It doesn't seem like we have a thread discussing helmets for track days.

Post a picture of your helmet or a web link to it, the price and a short
review. Anything extra that goes with it like a Hans device, GoPro camera
mounts, helmet/fire-suit cooling system, etc. is a plus!

Let see 'em! :cool:

I've always used a track loaner or borrowed a friend's brain bucket before
heading to the track. I finally ordered myself a helmet today. I personally
don't like a full face helmet for track days because I just get too damn hot,
even with the visor up. My head and face sweats profusely and it ends up
running into my eyes....Bad juju when you're at WOT. Plus, I sure as hell am
not running the A/C when I'm on the track and some tracks/clubs/sanctioning
bodies require running with the windows up (which is also more aerodynamic
at high speeds, etc.)

Here's what I ordered.

http://www.retrobikegear.com/torc-carbon-t58-jet-style-34-helmet--black--ships-5834.html

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I dont like open face helmets. If something goes wrong and your face hits the steering wheel...bye-bye jaw. The one you picked out looks badass tho

I've never heard of requiring windows up...i've only EVER heard of windows down, so you dont get flying glass in your face in a wreck.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I dont like open face helmets. If something goes wrong and your face hits the steering wheel...bye-bye jaw. The one you picked out looks badass tho

I've never heard of requiring windows up...i've only EVER heard of windows down, so you dont get flying glass in your face in a wreck.

I've been punched in the face by an airbag before.....with no helmet on....and it wasn't a big deal. If I had an aftermarket steering wheel, I
would have purchased one with more face protection. So really I'm not that worried. Though the thought did cross my mind.

One of my buddies here in Michigan that races B-spec Mini Coopers is required to: 1) wear a DOT approved helmet. 2) install window nets for
both front windows. 3) keep all windows rolled up.

Seems a little excessive to me, especially considering that they are forced to run a restrictor plate and most power mods are prohibited.
The vast majority of the cars in those classes make about 120-150whp.

finallymysti

racing is COMPLETELY different from track days as far as rules and safety stuff. I would be willing to bet that the track days require windows down. but back on topic. I have a very alien like head. its long and narrow (that's what she said, haha) so the bells and simpsons always gave me an ucomfortable pressure point on my forhead. people were saying aria is the helmet for my type of head but I wasn't going to spend 1000 dollars on a helmet(there not priced like that because they offer more protection). so I was trying on some other helmets, then the magic happened, I tried on my hjc ar-10 II. it fit perfectly and was at a good price point(350-400). it also came pre drilled for a head and neck restraint which was a requirement for me (I run the necksgen). the helmet is of average weight to slightly light for the price, has good ventilation, and the inside material is comfy, it could dry out a little better though. I can fit sunglasses comfortably but I feel like the eyeport could be a bit bigger for extra vision. it is an sa2010 snell helmet. i'll take a picture of me all strapped in the car at some point. I still need to get a driving suit but the lighter/cooler ones are mucho $$$.