Help Picking A Clutch

icudruln

Alright, the time has come to order a clutch, but I'm still undecided on what route to go. For the most part, I've narrowed it down the the ACT XT-SS, and the RPS Street Max clutch.

I drive the Subie about 10,000 miles a year, and do little to no drag (+/- 3 runs a year). I'm aiming to get out to some autocross and HDPE events this year with the car, but nothing crazy...yet :D. I do some good, spirited driving; once a week in the summer time, other than that, I drive very normal around town. The car is putting down 333whp/411wtq on a Dynojet. Any major power upgrades won't come until summer of 2012 at the earliest (GT3076 setup at some point), as I'm focusing on other aspects of the car.

Can someone sell me on a specific clutch? I've had a few buddies with the ACT HD-SS clutch, who were extremely happy, and put anywhere from 40,000-60,000 miles on the clutch, which is very impressive. I've had a few shops recommend the RPS Street Max, due to its stock like engagement and not getting too hot during track events.

What I'd like out of a clutch:
1. Quality
2. Reliable/long lasting - I consider this 30,000 miles before it may slip
3. Not very harsh engagement - I don't mind a stiff clutch at all, but it more or less comes down to not having drivetrain shock.

That being said, I believe the right choice for me is a street disc, hence the two choices I believe I've narrowed things down to. I don't see anyone having a pucked clutch last very long, and a multi plate clutch isn't necessary with this type of setup and usage.

Sell me on a clutch!

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
I'm looking into an Exedy twin disk right now. Looks like the FM022SD clutch is only good for 430lb/tq. I'll have to call Cobb and see if they recommend between the SD or SDL model. There's a $3-400 difference sooo. I can't find a tq rating for the SDL though.

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
That's GOT to be a pretty decent clutch as I'm pretty sure the clutch I have right now is the HD-SS and it held the 499whp mine put down. Only ran on the dyno so I can't tell you how long it will last at those power levels. I'm going to run my car on low or medium boost till I get my new clutch. The HD-SS was a little stiffer than stock but felt GREAT. It's pretty stiff before the break-in so do a proper break-in and the ACT clutches are very nice.