help picking clutch and flywheel

finallymysti

so my power is currently 332 awtq won't be having more than 350-370awtq. the car is a track car, road course, not drag strip. depending on the day I either have r comp tires, or extreme performance street tires. would a stock clutch work well or should I go aftermarket? if aftermarket which one would you suggest that feels similar to stock? also lightweight flywheel or not? thanks for the help.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
The stock clutch will work....for a while. It all depends on how much you beat on it. I'd personally replace it.

My stock clutch ate shit at almost 50k (35k Stage I/II and 15k 385whp/367wtq). My future power goals are a
bit more lofty, 440-490whp, so I had a Spec Stage II clutch installed which I acquired from Jordan at Defined
Performance: http://www.definedusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=10000279

I'm VERY happy with it. It is unbelievably easy to drive.

I am using the factory flywheel for now, but may have to replace it in the future because it's already been resurfaced
once and another go will drop it below tolerances.

I DD my car and it sounds like you don't, so a lightened flywheel might be a better choice for you, than for me. Lightened
flywheels can make a pretty noticeable difference in performance BUT if you go too light, it can be a pain in the ass to DD
on the street.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Honestly, I can't remember what the factory weight is, so idk how drastic a 15 lb. flywheel would be.

If you're only tracking the car, then hell yeah....go for it!

ZachTTLM

I would recommend either the Spec Stage 2 Clutch or the Exedy Stage 1 race clutch for your use. Both have a great activation, close to stock feel on the pedal, and will hold up to the conditions you are talking about well. You can change to a lightweight flywheel but keep in mind a couple different things, 1. this may cause chatter, 2. the lighter flywheel will change the amount of rev needed for launch as well as how you drive slightly. PM me or email me at Zach.davis@tothelimitmotorsportz.com if I can help you with any other questions or provide pricing for your needs.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
^ Good points.

The Excedy clutch is MUCH LOUDER than the Spec. I've driven both. I'd pick the Spec over the Excedy any day.
...but to each their own.

finallymysti

I the car is straight piped and has no rear interior. Noise Doesn't bother me, lol. I appreciate the input guys. Any experience with comp clutches?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

ZachTTLM

We have not had great success with the comp clutches on the Subaru platforms. Honda platforms have done well with these. Their flywheels have done well for us as well.

South Bend clutch has been very good to me. For my old toyota dd and the stage 2 i have on my STi. I get nothing but good remarks on pedal feel and engagement from friends and others. And its held up wonderfully so far on 440 awhp/460 awtq. And when it does go out in fhe near future, i will only replace it with a South Bend....unless i hit the lottery and have to burn money, then itll be a nice twin disc system.