Hi All!

Figame123

I recently purchased a 2014 White Satin Pearl STi limited 4dr>> I'm super excited! I just happen to stumble on this website>>Looking forward to some mods in the near future too, gonna have to do some research though, read something about ring land failure that kinda scared me..Any way just wanted to say Hi and glad to be here..

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
First welcome, and second how did you stumble here?

Figame123

Thanks, I was on the web looking for wheel fitment options for my vech and googled," Sti and wheel offset" or something like that and it led me to a forum on this website. I was like 'ok' i have an Sti why not join?!l

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Thanks, I was on the web looking for wheel fitment options for my vech and googled," Sti and wheel offset" or something like that and it led me to a forum on this website. I was like 'ok' i have an Sti why not join?!l

@TK-421 see told ya it works!

@Figame123 glad you're here. Any questions you have please ask. ;)

TK-421

[MENTION=4779]Figame123[/MENTION] I'll just say this now before anyone else does..... Watch out for [MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION] he bites

TK-421

I got it, and FYI Alin is an awesome dude, we just like messing with him every once in awhile haha :rofl:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Welcome.

Wheel offset is an art, and we're artists! I'm also about to reply to your other thread :tup:

Figame123

Did someone say wheels?

Welcome. What you got planned?
I was thinking 18x10 or 18x9.5,not sure of the offset I would need>> but I know i want to sit flush, not tucked, and would prefer not to roll/pull fenders. I'm thinking stretched tires or 225's 215's..whada ya think?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!!!

Pics of the whip!!

What makes you get a set of wheels before doing any other suspension mods?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Got your PM but I'm going to address that to the general forum so others may learn, as well.

There are two schools of thought when wanting to fit wheels and tires. One, make the wheels and tires fit the car. Two, make the car fit the wheels and tires. One meaning buy your wheels and tires based on what will fit without having to do anything special to the car. And two, go after the car with gizmos and hacksaw to fit wheels and tires that otherwise shouldn't be there.

Basically, of you want the flush look, your gonna have to roll the fenders. BY the definition of "flush" your wheel is going to be even with the outside body line or in some cases further out. The fender lip in the back is going to prohibit that even if you were to stretch the tire. The compression of the suspension will make that fender lip hit the tire or wheels. On a stock suspension, you may be able to get away with that with minimal rubbing, but aesthetically, the look just isn't really pulled off without the car sitting on top of the tire or wheel.
If you want to run a big wheel like an 18x10 with an aggressive offset, you'll need to roll and maybe pull the rear fenders, add negative camber and work on a tire that's in the bottom range or even less than the manufacturers recommended size for that wheel.
Since your wanting to lower the car, all of the above becomes more necessary. Keep the lowering at an inch or less, and you shouldn't need to do much with regards to getting the suspension and steering back to normal. At around an inch or more, you should start thinking about things to correct suspension geometry so you don't have a funky handling POS that looks cool but ceases to handle better than pappy's old farm truck. This step is often overlooked by too many.
Stretching the tires is never really a good thing. Stretching is when your tire size is too small for the manufacturers recommended wheel. This can present handling and wear issues on the tire and expose the wheel to damage from the road. This also goes against the design of how the tire should be safely mounted to the rim. Stretching can increase the chance of loosing the tire or unseating it from the rim bead. Take a corner with too much aggression and the tire unseats itself and your car winds up in the ditch.

My recommendation is this:

If you want to do minimal work then stay away from aggressive fitments.
If you have to have the aggressive flushed look, then be prepared for all sorts of things but try and keep things safe.

As for the ringland issue? There is no real true way to avoid it all together other than forged pistons and quality tuning. Don't beat on the car constantly, keep up with the maintenance and use quality products and fuels. This car may be a budget performance car but being cheap with it only makes you spend more in the longterm.