Hi looking at getting a Subaru wrx sti need some opinions on this one

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ask for a compression and leakdown test. That will tell you everything to know about that engine to determine if its healthy or not. Thats the cheapest STi i have ever seen....

The others can give some guidance as well! :tup: just wait for them to get in here.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
[MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION] is very correct in requesting a compression/leakdown test. Subarus can be notorious for bad pistons, especially when abused. A good compression test can eliminate a very large headache after purchase. Hell, any car at that mileage I would consider a compression test. Since the belt was done not too long ago, that eliminates that. Take the car to a subaru mechanic or one that specializes in these types of cars and have a very thorough inspection done. Transmission, diffs, clutch, brakes, the whole shebang.
Request a history from the owner, particularly the mods that have been done to it. I noticed there were no pics of the engine bay? That's kind of a major thing so definitely get that.
I won't be bashful in saying the mileage is high, especially on a performance car. That's something you really have to think hard about when purchasing a performance car. It doesn't mean it's nearing it's life's end but it does say that potential problems can crop up more frequently than lower mileage cars. Gaskets, vacuum hoses, brake lines, injectors, A/c, heating system, electrical, they can all start to show their age.
The price is nice and I do love that year car but just be cautious. We don't want you to end up with a basket case and your pulling your hair out chasing down gremlins.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok, I'm home now and can take a better look at this. [MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] definitely explained it perfectly. Things I wish I would've known when I purchased my car. :doh: :lol:
I would personally be a little skeptical since the seller took bullshit far away shots of the car and used a fish eye lens... He's obviously concealing away the harder to spot things. I also don't like that he doesn't have ANY records whatsoever of the car. A car fax would be in the best interest... If you don't know what to look for mechanically, then a mechanic that you trust should definitely inspect it. Those are really the key things to point out:

1) Compression and leak down test
2) Car fax
3) Thorough mechanical inspection

The underbody has to be shot. New Hampshire HAS to get similar, if not worse winters than we do here in Ohio. :tdown: So, bushings, gaskets, and all of the similar items might need replacement. You should have some money saved up for things like these that would need replacement. That interior, from what I can see, looks bone stock. He says the car was tuned, yet doesn't mention anything about Open Source or a Cobb Accessport...

Your best interest is to get those three things done in order to learn some important information about the car, especially if you're serious about getting it. :tup:

ericj

thanks I just want a wrx that the owner loved and not beat on since it will be my first wrx sti. just don't know about the 201k on it and said he put a new turbo on it too.

Last edited:
What everyone else said compression and leak down test is a must. Take it to a subaru tech or someone who you trust and knows what there doing. It is an STi so chances are it was beat on. Look at the engine bay compare it to a stock one look for missing bolts heat shields etc. this will tell you if it has been messed with or not. Could have been modified and beaten on without a proper tune. Then returned to stock to sell it.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I personally believe that the only way to TRULY know if the car was beat on is if a friend bought the car brand new and you saw him take care of the car throughout the years. Don't trust anyone's word for what they have to say about the car.
You can buy a car that has 5k miles and it was beat to shit. You can also buy a car with 300k miles that was taken care of religiously. It's pretty much a gamble, but there are ways to determine if a car is in good standing condition. We have pointed them out across multiple posts, so you should know by now what is recommended to do before you purchase a car. The more receipts and paperwork, the better for your cause. :tup:

Alter3go

Carfax uncover what you can prior to proceeding. If you have a friend who works at a dealership ask them to run one saves u money and most dealerships have an account with carfax

Compression/leak down very cheap they range from 80-150 bones and help you from make a 10K mistake.

Take to subaru for their 150 point inspection. They check Everything. They'll give you a printout of what needs done so you can estimate your money that you may need to invest.

If you feel froggy get a second opinion as well from a tuner shop and dependant on the result ask the price to be lower. It's cheap, but can be expensive depending on the state of it. Good luck!

Last edited: