How would you make a STi RWD?

Paul.c

Yeah, I was just pointing out the difference in mechanics. We are saying the same thing in different ways. No argument here.

hmmmm not really.... People usually weld up their diffs on drifting cars so they can get the effects of an LSD (both wheels spinning it up) which out having to spend the money. This is not a good idea for a car that will be driven on the streets though... As for welding an STI diff.... why? Maybe you could weld up the center diff to put all the power to the rear all the time, but that would retarded.... Also I am pretty sure that on the newer GR's the cars DCCD would freak the fuck out and cause problems, you might be able to get away with it on the GD's but even then it is chancy. Best idea would be to purchase a new center diff made for the purpose of making it into a RWD. Guy over on IWSTI did it with his GR, only stage 2 but with the RWD layout and all the torque our motors makes he is rocking hard core on the drift courses.

I've seen pictures of it, the blue one right? That thing kicks ass haha

Vermont

I've seen pictures of it, the blue one right? That thing kicks ass haha

Yup, that's the guy. He is also a very good driver. Looking at some of his videos and it looks like he knows what he's doing.... He can really get that thing side ways...

STimedic

I remember reading a thread on Nazioc awhile back in regards to a RWD center diff conversion kit that was made, but Google is failing me atm. There's also a guy with a RWD RSTi (GC8) that has been doing all kinds of drift antics too.

Vermont

Hu? I read over that article and then read the follow on posts and it seems that with a viscous center diff you would all sorts of problems. I am pretty sure the 05 and latter do not have a viscous as I thought it was only on the 02-04 imprezza models. Not so sure. I would say the best bet would be to just pull out the front drive shaft and plug the holes. Only problem with this is that only an DCCD equipped vehicle the system will go bonkers due to the data coming (front wheels not getting any power, rears spinning away) the whole point behind the subaru awd system is to prevent slip so if you are trying to force slip then you are going to need to disable the system completely.

It might be feasible to pull the front drive shaft, then unplug the entire DCCD system (not pull out but just unplug it). Not so sure on this one as not to many people actually mess with the Subaru DCCD in general. I do know that there is an aftermarket company that has a programmable DCCD system you add on to the stock one and then add in new algorithms to the computer. I would say that would be best bet. Just toss in the new DCCD and then turn the settings to full rear for power distribution and turn off all traction control and anti-slip aids. Would cause the least amount of (potential)harm to the vehicle and would allow for full use of the AWD system on daily driving while still being able to give you full RWD fun....

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Nice! :ty:

Stiyle11sedan

Great read...and he is from my neck of the woods!! :tup:

did this in forza the other day, swapped in rwd drive train increased front caster and shortened the gear ratios = sideways