How would you make a STi RWD?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
How would a person make a STi RWD? What all would be involved? How much weight could you save and what would be the cost? I always wanted to know these questions, and if anyone knows someone that has done this to their STi.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Well last night I was watching toyoko drift and the EVO they used had to be RWD. I guess I will just have to delete this thread, lol.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I was just wondering that's all. Not gonna happen with my STi, lol.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The best way to convert an STi to RWD is to buy a Silvia

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
In JJ's defense, I've wondered it too. I mean, how, what parts etc. Don't the front axles go into the tranny? So wouldn't you need a different tranny or.... I don't know deck about steering components but how would you delete the center diff? Get a custom driveshaft?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
In JJ's defense, I've wondered it too. I mean, how, what parts etc. Don't the front axles go into the tranny? So wouldn't you need a different tranny or.... I don't know deck about steering components but how would you delete the center diff? Get a custom driveshaft?

I have seen people take the shaft and remove it from the CV joint so you are left with just the CV joint housing and the spline. Then they just put that back in the tranny. On the wheel side they do the same. Essentially it's just a shaft delete. Then they set the DCCD to full lock and away they go.

I believe that is the easiest and least expensive way to do it and it maintains the integrity of the AWD should you wish to convert it back.

I have seen people take the shaft and remove it from the CV joint so you are left with just the CV joint housing and the spline. Then they just put that back in the tranny. On the wheel side they do the same. Essentially it's just a shaft delete. Then they set the DCCD to full lock and away they go.

I believe that is the easiest and least expensive way to do it and it maintains the integrity of the AWD should you wish to convert it back.

Wouldnt it be limited to less than 60% torque output still?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yeah I dunno. If I was to do it I would probably use the RWD drive train from an old time legacy or something

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
See look what my question has turned into, lol. I think my brain is going to explode.

Vermont

I've heard of people welding their diff. essentially a more drastic way of just locking the dccd right?

hmmmm not really.... People usually weld up their diffs on drifting cars so they can get the effects of an LSD (both wheels spinning it up) which out having to spend the money. This is not a good idea for a car that will be driven on the streets though... As for welding an STI diff.... why? Maybe you could weld up the center diff to put all the power to the rear all the time, but that would retarded.... Also I am pretty sure that on the newer GR's the cars DCCD would freak the fuck out and cause problems, you might be able to get away with it on the GD's but even then it is chancy. Best idea would be to purchase a new center diff made for the purpose of making it into a RWD. Guy over on IWSTI did it with his GR, only stage 2 but with the RWD layout and all the torque our motors makes he is rocking hard core on the drift courses.

Paul.c

Welding a diff makes it nothing like a LSD. Welding a diff makes a permanently locked diff. In the offside community it is referred to as a "Lincoln Locker" referring to Lincoln welders. LSD will send power to the wheel with traction when slippage occurs.

Vermont

Welding a diff makes it nothing like a LSD. Welding a diff makes a permanently locked diff. In the offside community it is referred to as a "Lincoln Locker" referring to Lincoln welders. LSD will send power to the wheel with traction when slippage occurs.

True, but for the purposes of drifting (which I thought this whole thread was about seeing as he brought up F&F3) it accomplishes the same task which is to get both wheels spinning under loss of traction and not just one. Trust me, trying to drift a RWD car on dry pavement with out an LSD or welded diff is a bitch.