Intake Removal

Slacker

Hello all,

I have a 04 sti and the fuel hard lines that transfer into rubber hoses then back into hard lines are cracked and I need to replace them. So I will need to remove the intake to get to them and i am not going to pay subaru $550 just to replace $2.00 worth of hose. so Is thee anything I should know about removing the intake besides not droping anything down the holes. :)

Symptoms. at start up on a cold engine I can smell raw fuel in the cab. also I can see it leaking from the hard line into the rubber hose. Threw a check engine light with cruise control flashing. I can not read the code because the port is damaged. looks melted, like that when I bought the car. i can reset the light but when cruising at 50 + it will just come back on. my guess is there is a drop in fuel pressure. I have not noticed any power loss, but i have noticed that I go through a quarter tank to go 25 miles.

thanks for the help...
Slacker

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Most of the assembly comes out as one unit. You should find yourself a service manual and check out the procedure. You can find a manual on line free for download. We have them here but you need a paid membership to view them.

All in all the process is fairly simple. Just a few connectors, vacuum lines and bolts and it all comes out as one unit.

Last edited:

Slacker

Ill do just that. The service adviser at the dealer said I had to remove the entire fuel injection system to fix it. They also said they could do it for 4 hours of labor. 550.00 plus tax. Boooooo on that I like to work on cars lol.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
They are kinda correct when you consider the manifold, fuel rails, injectors, and TGV's all come out as one unit.

The biggest part is making sure you don't damage the gaskets and keeping them aligned when you are putting it all back together

Grinder34

Track Monkey
If you're taking the IM off, you could throw in some phenolic spacers as quick/easy upgrade, right?

Just a thought :twisted: