Intercooler FAQ

sentein

No problem, I saw the post and could not help it. BTW like with the rally cars, I do not know everything about every TMIC system there is. I work with semis and saturns for the most part along with performance mods on diesel pickups. The basic principal of TMIC is the same as a FMIC the routing is just a bit different.

Vermont

Yesterday down at the Spec Ops tuning day I was able to see the down sides of a front mount on a stock turbo. While this is an extreme example, I was still able to see what happens when you mate your turbo up with an inappropriate sized intercooler. The spool time and peek boost was hugely limited due to the extra amount of piping that had to filled with pressurized air. MAP was only sitting at 14.5psi even at peek numbers. That didn't mean the turbo wasn't putting out peek efficiency it was just the sheer amount of piping was holding it back. The STI was only able to put down stage 1 numbers due to the mechanical limitations.

sentein

The only thing i did not cover that i could is Air to Water Intercoolers. Is this something that you would like to see or let some others try to chip in too?

Oh BTW i was wondering if there was any way to get rid of the learners permit in there. I know its controlled by post volume but i don't think i am a learner per say.:lol:

Last edited:
The only thing i did not cover that i could is Air to Water Intercoolers. Is this something that you would like to see or let some others try to chip in too?

Oh BTW i was wondering if there was any way to get rid of the learners permit in there. I know its controlled by post volume but i don't think i am a learner per say.:lol:

I'll PM you about the learners permit and an idea I have. :tup:

We have a huge AWIC write up from a buddy of mine. We can link it in the FAQ.

Vermont

Hey Jared could you post up that AWIC faq up? I know its over from IWSTI.com I just cant remember who wrote it.

You also get ~1% increase in power for every 5?F temp drop, so you could get a substantial increase in power when you go AWIC.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

STimedic

I am so glad this is not a FMIC or your dumb thread.

I love my Spearco, not a fan of the bit of lag a FMIC gives. I am interested in an AWIC setup if a kit or parts list gets made though. Like I've said, with the proper bit of heat shielding, ceramic coating and thermal dispersants, there's no reason why one cannot reach subambient temps with a TMIC setup. I'll have to get official logs, but from what my AP has showed me, I've done it.

Bang876

FMIC proper for my STI?

Awesome comments everyone! I am new to subaru and tuner cars so i am assuming that the FMIC on my 05 STi is the proper choice considering my performance is a little over 400WHP. Also is it normal for the temperature gauge to constantly fluctuate from cold to hot then hot to cold? I notice this while driving on the highway, the temp would go from cold and gradually build up to hot then it resets itself back to cold and the process repeats. In the city it rockets up to hot if i start to drive with a heavy foot.

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 377568_1603081453473_1729227894_792772_984977103_n.jpg
    377568_1603081453473_1729227894_792772_984977103_n.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 83
don't get me wrong, there is a point where the TMIC can no longer do anything for you... like in my case with a FP Black. However, i still think AWIC > FMIC. yes it adds weight, but ambient/subambient temps are well worth the weight. Never seen a guy push 30 psi on a FMIC and see ambient temps. it just doesnt work that well.

Agreed. Especially with the amount of piping needed for FMIC's on our car.

Vermont

Rotated intake manifold or V mount inter cooler will solve some of those issues

A properly built AWIC setup is still superior to it in so far as power gains and lag are concerned. I really do need to get my STI back on track since I have that pesky p0340 code solved. I figure an AWIC combined with the Dom 1.5 will get me damn near near 400whp on a lower reading dyno. I may not even have to go meth if I am able to reach my power goals with just the AWIC and from what I have been seeing it might very well be possible. FMIC are in my opinion just the wrong choice for any Subaru. The amount of piping required kills throttle response and adds more lag into the equation since the turbo has to compress all of the air inside of the piping. I would even go so far as to say that a large TMIC setup with the proper amount of heat shielding would be the better choice for large turbo setups. For the GD's even an upgrade to the GR top mount would be preferable to a FMIC I think. Then again if you are building a car for drag application then I guess the extra piping really does not matter that much, but in that case an AWIC would be better due to cooling properties and not having to worry as much about weight. There is a reason that Muscle car guys have been uing AWICs for so long, they work.

Vermont

Im not saying superior just what can solve some of the issues. Noone makes a fully functional AWIC for our cars yet so the common guy isnt gonna even consider it for use as of yet, only crazy assholes like us.

O yeah wasn't by anything saying you were. It is just that when ever I see any one say anything about FMIC I get the uncontrollable urge to jump in and shout out "FMIC SUCKS, REAL MEN GET AN AWIC!" and then jump back out....

microsnook

I bought my car used and it has a FMIC. Pretty sure the boost lags a little bit but if I put my foot down then it goes as needed :)

Should I try and switch this out for a TMIC?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I bought my car used and it has a FMIC. Pretty sure the boost lags a little bit but if I put my foot down then it goes as needed :)

Should I try and switch this out for a TMIC?

Nope. Keep it. What front FMIC you have?

Let me put it simply. (Seriousness) If you're running a FMIC on a stock location turbo less than the 3076R variants, you're sacrificing too much. Spearco's TMIC flows 1k cfm/min, more than enough to handle a 3076R. (Jackassery) Yeah, you might have to do crazy things like delete your A/C when the supersized TMIC that allows sub-ambient IAT's @ WOT gets on your nerves with rubbing, but hey, sacrifices must be made, especially for better throttle response!

(Seriousness again) But really, if you're not running a 35R rotated or larger, there is no reason really to run an FMIC, unless you LIKE lag. Theory/Physics/what-have-you: Piping takes time to fill with compressed air, especially, what like 8-12' worth, not including the core. Then there's core construction, bar and plate (most efficient, Spearco, Perrin for example) or fin and tube (OEM; works but more restrictive, therefore less CFM with equal sized bar and plate). Those of you calling HEAT SOAK! Yes, it might heat soak in traffic or at a stoplight/x-mas tree, but as soon as you get airflow from forward movement, moot point (Edwin, step in with your positive pressure due to airflow crap!). And your full of it if you think that the close proximity to the largest heat exchanger in your car doesn't heat soak your FMIC either...just saying.

I might be bi-polar with my mood swings.....

Can you mathematically define the difference in time of the turbo lag from a fmic vs a tmic? Minus what i know on that aspect of ic's from a performance point of view there are 0 substantial advantages the tmic has over the fmic.