JDM 6MT & R180 Gear Oil WTB!!

Okay, so I've seen many threads around about which gear oils to use, for both the transmission and rear differential. But what about JDM spec compared to USDM spec? What about the R160 to the R180? Do they use different LSD oils? I just want to make sure the research I'm doing is accurate. I am not due yet for the 30k service for my gearbox and rear diff. I just want to know what proper gear oil to use for higher than stock power levels.

I hear that Amsoil 75W90 NS GL-5 gear oil is best for the JDM 6MT transmission.
I hear that Amsoil 75W90 GL-5 gear oil is best for JDM R180 rear differentials.

Please post which brand to buy, and state why for additional reasoning. Also if your running it yourself, and state if it has a benefit or not.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I ran oem. I ran motul. Now using amsoil everything! It really is the best ive used thus far. With oem and motul after the 15-20k mile range some gears started with slight grindings. With amsoil not a squeek! :tup:

(On hard upshifts and mainly 4th downshifting)

Motul of all while downshifting into 4th always had a slight slight grind. It went away instantly after i swapped to amsoil.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
i remember that the 07 can take the OEM Extra-S since its torsen type, but earlier ones will need a different oil. I know thats not the exact answer you were looking for but hopefully it can start assist you in searches.

When you figure it out for all the years, you should start a thread in the drivetrain section about the years, differences, and recommendations. I should've done that when it was fresh in my head.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
100% agree with him. ^^^^^^^

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Stay away from friction modifiers, I hear for the earlier years. Trans oil pump no likey.

Stay away from friction modifiers, I hear for the earlier years. Trans oil pump no likey.

Yes, the shock proof from redline is bad to mix with the 75W90 GL-5 for the rear diff too

Im getting some Severe Gear? 75W-90 for both the transmission and rear diff :tup: