Knock under wot

06stibslw

Hello guys new to the forum. I've been experiencing some knock at wot of a -2 value in feedback knock and 1.40 of fkl. The dam is also dropping when this happens as I can see it on the ap. I've been filling up with the same Sunoco 93 as always. I've done some searching but wanted to know if anyone has experienced this as well. 06 sti with 20000 miles on built motor with weisco pistons and a protune. Car also has cams, Cobb dp, tgv deletes and a Perrin turbo inlet with ID1000cc injectors. Any help is very much appreciated

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
@holtcrapitsfast is the man here for that question.

Also welcome [MENTION=6074]06stibslw[/MENTION] ?

?Join us as Lifetime Platinum Member today!?

06stibslw

Thanks. Car has been running great just wanted to get some opinion. Hoping it's just a bad batch of fuel and weather is starting to get colder here in pa

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Who built it?

06stibslw

A shop is nazerath called area1320. Very good guys and reputable. I did not contact them yet as I wanted to see if it was just a bad batch of fuel so I can rule that out or tune related.

06stibslw

I have read that I was just a little concerned about it being in the upper rpms. This is the first it has happend in wot. I do get some under normal driving on my drives to and from work that I'm not concerned about. Thank you for the quick reply

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
It depends one what other conditions exist and as long as DAM stays at 1 then I might agree. Unfortunately DAM is dropping which indicates significant knock events or something else. Since it is a built motor it is possible that it is just a noisy motor at high RPM but there are things you can test for.

The first thing to rule out is look for loose brackets and metal to metal contact in the engine bay and in the exhaust system. If that all checks out then you can add a gallon of toluene to a tank of gas and see if that does the trick. If the knock disappears at that point then you need to go back to your tuner or find a better source of fuel. Beyond that you may have to consult with your tuner regardless. He is in a better position to determine if the knock is real.

If you know how to log you can go ahead and post one for us to see. Please log the following...

• Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) (A/F Sens 1 Ratio)
• A/F Correction #1
• A/F Learning #1
• Air Intake Temp
• Boost
• Calculated Load
• Dynamic Advance
• Dynamic Advance Multiplier
• Engine Speed (RPM)
• Ignition Advance (Primary Ignition)
• Ignition Timing
• Knock Active Switch
• Knock Correction (Feedback Knock)
• Knock Learned (Fine Knock Learned)
• Throttle Position

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Told ya he'd know [MENTION=6074]06stibslw[/MENTION]. ?

Thanks Holy.

06stibslw

Thank you for the reply and the great info. I will post a log up as soon as I can the dam is always at 1 as I always have that up on my ap gauges I noticed it during a good 4th gear pull which is why I was concerned. I will also shoot my tuner a txt and see what he has to say. The weather is also getting cooler and I was tuned at the end of summer so I didn't know if that would be a tuning issue. Thanks again for the quick reply!

06stibslw

Hey guys i fueled up with some different fuel and all knock was gone did some pulls and logs and all were clean! Been keeping an eye on it and all seems well. Turbot inlet clamp was slightly loose as well so that might have contributed but I thank you guys for all your advice and help