Lightweight flywheel help?

jpwrxsti

Going from stock clutch to a heavy duty ACT and figured it would be the opportune time to switch to a lighter flywheel. (Street lite ACT) it's only a few pounds less than stock. I've read up on it but I've seen different opinions. I mostly do 1/4 drags (at a track). I've read it wouldn't help me much if at all in the 1/4. Is this true? I also read people actually attesting to better performance in the 1/4 mile with stock flywheel. I also read reviews saying it was better for them and increased performance but had to start with a higher RPM launch than with stock flywheel. I read the reasoning behind each opinion (the technical stuff) but would like to hear from others. I already bought the flywheel but am debating shipping it back or installing. Leaning more towards installing.

I'm just going to reiterate what you've already researched. I am currently running that exact setup, HD act with lightweight flywheel.

For drags I would not use this flywheel. You need mass to help you get off of the line quick while still holding rpms up. The lightweight flywheel gains and loses rpms really quick. I think it's better suited for auto x. You are also correct on having to launch at higher rpms with the lightweight flywheel. Just with daily driving, I had to increase my blips up to 2-2.5k rpms to get off smoothly.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people out there putting down good times at strips with this flywheel. So it can be done, you will just have to relearn your habits for it.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The heavy stock flywheel will have more rotational mass, meaning it will take longer to rev but will help to maintain the rotational speed once at RPM. This will help with launches because as you are waiting to launch, you will be revving and keeping the engine at a certain RPM. When you dump the clutch to launch, you will not loose all that rotational energy right away. With a light weight flywheel, you will have to rev higher in order to maintain that rotational energy and that is much harder on every component from pistons to drivetrain. With the light weight flywheel, you risk bogging at the line.

The lighter flywheel is better suited for AutoX and Time Attack and Drifting :tup:

Haha that's OK, yours sounded more professional.

Honestly if I could do it again I would probably have gone stock weight. Although I do have some friends trying to get me into auto x.... So maybe it will all work out.

jpwrxsti

you beat me to the punch Black Bandit :D

Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate the input and may just return the flywheel. I'm already having troubles perfecting my launches and may find it even more of a struggle with a lighter flywheel. Still kind of up in the air considering I already have it. I need to stop impulse buying and do research BEFORE purchasing. :)