Limit of stock STI rods?

cobbtunedsti

For some dumb reason I was talked out of buying rods for my build.. I was told I would be fine!! Well I want to buy a bigger fuel system to run 24psi but I am held back by my rods?? Do I chance it or save up for rods? Calvin said I'd make over 500whp and around 30 or 40 more wtq On 24psi!!!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The rods will not hold up to that IMO. I have destroyed rods on less than 400whp. I would get better rods if that is the kind of power you want to run.

Manely "H" beams or TurboTuff rods will do the trick. Heck... even Eagle rods will be good for 500whp

Contact Mike from Apex. He has some good prices on that stuff.

Last edited:

cobbtunedsti

Lmao!! So I'm at the limit now??? I'll just wait til it grenades.. Built blocks are only $3,500 if I had to buy one!! We ran into a couple of problems during the build.. Bearings, boring.. Etc.. So I didn't have the money for them!! This sucks now I must pull her out, whenever that will happen!!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Just try not to purposely grenade it. You could easily damage the heads or the crank in the process and then your looking at anything from $600 to $2500 depending on what you take out in the process.

cobbtunedsti

Holy.. I can pull my engine out but really how hard is it put rods in??? I can't find a walk through anywhere??? Any special tools I would need??

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
It's a process. No real special tools other than the standard stuff like torque wrench. The hardest part about the job is removing and installing the wrist pins that hold the piston to the rod. Its really not something I would do unless you are a seasoned engine builder and I would also replace the bearings and rings. It is rare to get the old rings to seat again properly once you have taken them out.

You might as well wait until you need to take the motor out IMO. I will be building a block soon and I will be putting together a "how-to" but that won't be for quite some time.

crash6873

just my two cents guys, but Crawford runs all stock internals on their cars and has told me that they have never had any issues other than having to "resleeve" the block on a regular basis if you are running over 600 crank HP.