Looking at clutch options, any advise?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
So while I am doing this motor rebuild I am going to replace the clutch. I haven't found anything that has really stood out to me. I really want it to feel close to stock, last a while, be relatively inexpensive, and I am planning for around 400hp to start with but it should be able to do a decent job on a 500hp build (i know Im not asking for much...haha) If you need any other info just ask, I am seriously out of it tonight, but I would like to get it ordered tonight or tomorrow.

Z1107

Strongly recommend stage 2+ at a minimum. Best with stage 3. Most stage 1 clutches are rated up to 400hp crank. A stage 1 will burn out fast. Spec clutches are good relatively inexpensive, and have a good rep. A stage 2 is around 450-480 if I remember right, Jordan would know he swears by them.

ZachTTLM

I have had great success with the Spec Clutches and for what you are asking for Part# SU303 Stage 3 Clutch Kit. Spec is known for there durability yet the streetable clutch feel.

mysti

I am making over 400 wheel and the exedy stage 1 is doing perfectly fine. I track it and drag it.

Z1107

Not trying to get into a pissing match just saying that STOCK 06 torque is 300lbs crank, exedy stage one is rated to handle 44% more torque. That is 132 more lbs CRANK, for a total of 432, which depending on the tune is in the range of 350 to 380 lbs to the wheels. So if hes already exceeded that figure or close to it you should step up to a stage 2 or 3 for the extra grip and lifespan. Not saying yours is not doing fine but according to Exedy's specs its not rated for that power.

mysti

It's all good Z1107 I was just sharing some personal experience since he said he didn't want to spend too much and keep it closer to stock feel. But I know what you are saying is true I remember reading that before I got mine but in reality it did hold up fine. Again I am the same like you just love subarus and enjoy talking about them so by any means don't get me the wrong way I am here just to have a friendly conversation :)

mysti

For sure :) I understand everyone has their opinion and if he has the extra money by any means you are 100% correct he should get a stage 2-3

Z1107

Believe it or not the Spec stage 2+ is actually only a little more than the exedy stage 1 and its rated up to 530lbs crank. So Mysti have you made an intro yet?

mysti

I am sure its close. lol but when modding things just keep adding up so fast its crazy... No I didn't. I acctually just joined today.

Z1107

No kidding :tard:!!! Go ahead and make an intro and a journal (we are whores to a good read on a new build to us.:lol:) The gang would love to get to know you.

Bluedemon_II

I Used the Spec stage 3 6puck metal disc and pressure plate. My car made 330whp and 411wtq at one point. Near stock feel and aggressive grip at an affordable price. I liked it. Would buy from that brand again.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You guys are all you all are leaving out a huge piec of info for this guy... NEVER GET A CLUTCH THAT MINIMUM RATING IS MORE THEN THE POWER YOU ARE CURENTLY MAKING!!! it is better for yiur clutch to slip then for your clutch to grab excessively and blow your trans.... If your top numbers are going to be 500 then you are ok with most of the clutches out there.... Now there are a few exceptions to this rule of thumb... If your car is strickly track use then you should be able to use a stage 3 and survive for a while....

I both agree and disagree. I know what you are saying but the drive train can handle quite a bit before you have to worry about breaking things. (Fuji being the exception).

The very reason I went with a stage three clutch was because the stage two was slipping. Even in some daily driving situations. I always recommend a clutch with a higher rated clamping force. The clutch is really only a factor of catastrophic failure during engagement. Once engaged it is the power you are putting into the drive train that becomes the liability. The driver should be able to control it's use and know how launch safely. If they can't then they have no business racing and modifying their cars and they deserve what they get :lol:

Bluedemon_II

If the clutch slips to much it will glaze up and then you will have a damaged disk. Have seen it plenty of times. It is best to have an appropriate clutch and pressure plate combo that will work and last than one that will give out due to being over worked. Just my .2c on that matter. Learning how to drive the car with the sum of its parts is the best mod hands down!