Looking for turbo for 04 sti

Flyerdena

Hey everyone I am looking for a turbo. I am not sure which one I really want yet but am restricted on price. So really looking for a used one that wasn't beating lol I wanna stay around $400. I have heard that I can get one for around that price.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
A turbo is not something you want to go cheap on. Don't buy an 'ebay special'.

I side with Batmobile your engine is built around the turbo so cheap turbo, cheap build, dead engine which is not cheap. You might be able to get the stocker rebuilt for 400 just need to look around for a decent shop that knows their shit. Take some more time and save some more money, you will thank yourself in the end .

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Be careful with a factory VF39, especially if it's used. I don't know exactly what the deal is with
that turbo, but back in the day when I was on the stock turbo, the hot side cracked right around
the IWG housing. It was impossible to see while installed on the car, but still bad enough that I
couldn't hold more than 14 psi of boost. I thought it might have been a rare occurrence until
I've heard other people have the same issue.

Flyerdena

My waste gate has a mind of its own it doesn't work and than wants to work. And under high boost some smoke is created and coming out the back. Does it once and a while not all the time. The car has 145k miles I would rather get another turbo or was thinking of rebuilding.

Have you checked the boost control solenoid (this is what regulates your boost if its bad you will only get wastegate pressure which is 9psi) ? checked all lines connected to the BCS and turbo? I would also check the wastegate actuator (Im not really sure how to test this one) to make sure it is in working order. Does your car need the oil topped off frequently? If you are not mechanically incline or just need some more help I could get some pictures up of what I am talking about to help.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
To expand on what I said earlier about the hot side of the turbo cracking around the wastegate port.
If this happens, you will most likely not see a crack unless you remove the downpipe and stick your head
in there, real close with a flashlight. So this could be the issue. It prevents the wastegate from sealing
shut. My boost pressures were all over the place.

Also, like Septic said, does the car eat a lot of oil? When my turbo was cracked, I never had oil consumption
problems, but a friend of mine had the same exact issue and his turbo was leaking enough oil into the charge
pipes/intercooler that he'd consume a whole quart in 1,500 miles.

Flyerdena

I did a compression check on the motor last month. It was 145,151,152,155. The motor eats a lot of oil ima leave it that because I got bashed on NASIOC for my thread lol

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I did a compression check on the motor last month. It was 145,151,152,155. The motor eats a lot of oil ima leave it that because I got bashed on NASIOC for my thread lol

Well you won't get bashed here. We aren't like that. Please explain, and screw Nasty Sock!

Flyerdena

So i bought the car in november of this past year from a "dealer". I ahve put 7k miles and pretty much have had to put 35qts of oil....... There is a leak coming from the valve cover gasket which i am getting fixed along with a rear diff seal. My car does not smoke all of the time and did a compression test which numbers came out fine. The turbo and waste gate have a mind of there own. It will work and give me full boost and than all of a sudden for a week it wnt give me full boost but wont give me half either it goes all over the palce with boost. I feel my turbo is the problem for my oil consumption along with the leak. Which might I add just started leaking from the oil drain plug :( which is being fixed when the part comes in.