Massive amounts of side to side play in shifter after wreck.

I got my car back from the body shop yesterday and noticed a massive amount of side to side play in the shifter. It is to the extent that when shifting to 1st or 2nd from neutral the stick literally will slam against the bezel. The impact of the accident was on the passenger side front fender and not extensive enough to cause frame damage but enough to cause the alignment to be jacked up. Any idea's on what could be the issue? :(

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Sounds like a bushing got knocked loose or a bolt broke or a bracket got bent. Here is a picture of the area to give you an idea of what to look for...

CIMG0204.JPG

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
When you hit did you bend the shifter at all?

Would the driving of noob at the body shop who said "the car dies when I down shift" (not our pal Colten :lol:) have any chance of causing the issue...

I had literally a half inch max of play prior and now have like 4" lol. I upgraded all the bushings to eliminate any slop a while ago and its been as tight as when I first installed them until now.

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
That is a strange issue. Time to trouble shoot.

jswansti

Is it possible the linkage popped out of the rear stay bushing under the car? I really don't have any knowledge as to what would happen if the Shifter linkage popped out of that bushing, but it seems plausible that it'd be really loose....or someone can just call me an idiot and move on lol.

ZachTTLM

I agree with a couple of the suggestions above on what it could be. Check the bolt for the front shifter bushing to make sure it is not broke or loose. Also check the rear bushing to make sure it didnt pop out. Also make sure the shifter itself didnt pop out of the socket.

Any word? I'dve been under the car instantaneously to figure out WTF.....

It's getting worse lol. My shifter boot is starting to get small tears near the knob base due to it having to be pressed up against the bezel to get into first.I'm waiting on the body shop to get a grill they needed to order before I drop it off again. My daily commute total is less than 10 miles. I also don't have a garage and don't want to make a trip to my dad's where "my garage" and tools are (even though its also less than 10 miles). I figure why spend time on what I pay insurance for. God knows I have plenty of other work to do on the car that's unrelated to the accident and I'd rather not do what I don't have to. I also need to rebuild my floor jack first which is going to be an experience as all I have is an exploded diagram LOL.

I'm agreeing with George and Zach. It feels like the rear bushing is no longer holding the assembly in place. Should be an easy fix.

Last edited:

ZachTTLM

Good bump! As he mentioned what was found with this problem and is it fixed??