Maximum oil temperature

What is the maximum oil temperature for 5w40 oil? Should I worry and think of oil cooler if I reach 120 C degrees(248 F)?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Are you getting that hot on the street, or at the track?
Where are you measuring the oil temp (in the pan or in one of the galley plugs?)

That temp seems high for the street, especially if measured in the oil pan.

Honestly, the best thing you can do right now is send THAT oil out for analysis and they'll tell you if its still within specs, or it got too hot and broke down.

All street. I usually see between 108 C and 115 C but when i push the car I hit 120 C.

I measuring the temperature from an adapter installed above the filter. Greddy sandwich.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
We can speculate about it, but there are lots of variables. Like here's one that I didn't mention before: the temp sensor calibration and scaling.

I would send out to Blackstone Labs for a UOA kit and see what they have to say about it. Nothing like facts to settle the issue! :tup:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Seems a bit high. I should think 93 c to 98 c a bit more where it should be at during cruise.
Then again, the location of the temp sensor is probably getting hotter oil from the engine rather than a sensor at the bottom of a pan where the oil tends to be a bit cooler.
And grinder is spot on. Get a UOA and get the facts.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I have my oil temp sensor in the same place. I generally see 88 to 99*C (190 to 210*F) depending on how I'm driving. I've pushed it up a little higher once or twice, but that was during a lot of aggressive driving.

[MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] [MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION]

I used to be at that level but when I installed the EL headers i started hitting above 110* C. Although it is wrapped.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Hmmm....that would probably put one of the header runners closer to the sandwich adapter, but you say they are wrapped. I wouldn't
think this would cause your problem, but I suppose it's possible. I'd be more inclined to think the sensor or gauge is not reading accurately.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
[MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] [MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION]

I used to be at that level but when I installed the EL headers i started hitting above 110* C. Although it is wrapped.

Wrapped with what? [MENTION=4684]welaish[/MENTION]

Sorry to bump so late, my04 is pretty built/modified, daily driving, cruising I see 90-100?C and full boost WOTs all around town bring me up to 110, maybe 115?C if it's 85?F outside. Then I can park and idle for a couple minutes, and watch the oil temp drop to 100?C within a couple minutes. Just IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk