motor break in.

just got my 2008 sit back from a build! i would like for you guys to give me your intake on how i should break in my motor?
iv had a lot of ppl tell me how they would do it, but i would like to know how you subaru owners would or have done it!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
From what I recall: Lots of gentle driving at varied RPMs. Meaning highway with cruise control is not ideal. I havent done a break in since...2002, so I'll let the others chime in. The real reason i posted:

You should start another thread and tell us about your build!

35r

Iv done this both ways. Some people like to Vary RPMS and keep constantly shifting. Not let RPMS stay in one place for more than a few minutes, stay in the city. And oil change every few hundred miles up to what ever their break-in point is. That is usually the smart way and will work best. But there is the more aggressive approach to seat rings, and thats getting in the car and giving it the boots.This will also work, but it is a little more ballsy and does not guarantee that it will work. If i were you, i would take my time with it. It will happen eventually. If you rush it you risk destroying it and wasting your time and money.

yamahaSHO

Load the rings... Give it boost, give it engine braking. After initial break-in (that first drive), then you vary RPM's. There is ZERO need to baby it.

I've always broken in my motors this way: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I will be breaking in my new motor this week this way as well. 15 PSI, up to 5,000ish RPM, lots of engine braking, and change the oil after the first drive.

FYI: The only way you're going to destroy the motor doing it this way is if it wasn't built correctly and/or has a questionable tune.