MOVED, Not Urgent: going to look at an 04 WRX

JShnarf

So im planning on going to check out an 04 WRX with 140,000 on it, it has man mods and has a couple issues and i just wanted to throw it up here to get some more info from you guys to help me out with some follow up questions and some places to check out heres the info on the car.

First thing you should know is there are a couple things that need to be fixed. The first of which is a new clutch/flywheel. I bought a new clutch and flywheel for the car before I took it off the road, but they were used and I didn't have the flywheel resurfaced before install. This resulted in choppy clutch engagement and sometimes slipping. It still drives ok but its an issue that will need to be addressed. The car also has around 140K miles on it, I bought it with 69k and it has leaked a bit of oil since then, but still continues to run strong, but I have always kept an eye on the oil level and topped it off if needed. The timing belt and water pump were changed at 100k and the other maintenance was always kept up to date.
It was involved in fender bender a couple months before I took it off the road, so it has one cleared (amber peices removed) headlight, and one new OEM lamp with the amber peices still in it. Easy process to take out the amber. They places also installed a non OEM hood but other than the weight of the new hood you can't tell, they did a good job with all the other body work also.
So with that said I am looking to get $5k obo on it. That's right between the KBB and Edmunds true market values for the car. It also is the premium edition which means it has sunroof, and heated seats, mirror, and wipers which are awesome in the cold weather.
Here are the mods I have done:
Engine:
Helix Catted Downpipe
Maddad 3"-2.5" Tapered Midpipe
Sti Axleback
OEM Ported/Polished/Coated Exhaust Manifold Elbows
OEM Gutted/Nutted UP (catalytic converter removed)
Sti Group N Engine MountTurbo XS Intercooler Y-Pipe
Tactrix Cable
Snorkus Delete
Blitz LM Air Filter
Paranoid Fabrications Grounding Kit
Paranoid Fabrications Big 3 Wiring Kit
Braking:
Racing Brake Rear H6 conversion w/ Hawk HPS pads
Russell Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid
Hawk HPS Front Pads
DBA 4000 Front Slotted Rotors
Suspension:
Prodrive Springs
KYB GR-2 Struts
Rear Camber Bolts
Group N Sti Strut Mounts (F&R)Group N Sti Strut Mounts (F&R)
Whiteline Heavy Duty Steering Rack Bushings
Ebay Rear Strut Tower Bar
Kartboy Botox Subframe Lock Kit
TIC Fender Braces
Drivetrain
Gimmick Shortshifter w/ bushings
Kartboy Rear Shifter Bushing
Sti Group N Transmission Mount
Katboy Tranny Crossmember Bushing
Kartboy Rear Diff Bushing
ACT HD Clutch
Streetlite Lightweight Flywheel
Exterior
Cleared Headlights
Rally Armor Basic Mudflaps
DIY Painted Sideskirts
DIY V2 Garage Door Seal Front Lip
Interior
Momo WRX shift knob
STi shifter trim
OEM Underseat Subwoofer
I think thats about it, let me know if you are interested and want to come check the car out in person. It currently has no battery and isn't registered but we could take it for a drive around my neighborhood. Also it has stock wheels and snow tires on it now but I could include 17" Rota torques for the right price on it.

Anything you guys can think of would really help thanks.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I would want to get clarification on "leaking oil." Does it burn the oil, drip oil, etc..? I'd probably ask for a compression and leakdown test on any car with miles that high.

JShnarf

what are other common things that start to fail with that high of miles? like head gasket, turbo? Im not trying to get into a money pit but i wont mind having to drop a little bit on repairs to get it running and driving right. Is what hes asking a fair price for the condition and the mods to it? After reading that what are some questions you would ask him about it?

ZachTTLM

First why did he take it off the road? Who did the mods to it himself or a shop? If a shop did work, check credability of the shop. I would also do as grinder recommended do compression and leak down test. These are strong cars engine wise but anything modded improperly or poor work can reduce the life of the car and it's components. You will definitly want to source where the oil is leaking. To know if it is going to require major or minor work and is it something expensive to fix.

JShnarf

hey thanks man thanks for the reply. he took it off the road because he upgraded to an 09 STi I was supposed to go and look at it at the begining of the week but he keeps saying hes busy every time we try and make plans to meet up, so i still havent gotten a chance to go check it out. Iv been told that 140k is high miles and people that say thats nothing. is there anything i need to be aware of like a turbo going or something? he just did the timing and water pump at 100k so i wont have to worry about that for atleast anouter 40-60k right? i just dont want to buy it and things constantly breaking and having to dump money into it. Thats why im trying to get out of my Lancer haha

JShnarf

he said the leak is coming from the rear main seal anyone know how big of a job this is and roughly how much it would be to fix?