my first sti... 2005 wrb

droopys

20131207_113420_zps0dfd1ebe.jpg

droopys

2005 sti completly stock minus indash gps cd/dvd I bought the car off the original owner with 20k miles on it...
Preferably not a fan of the gps or dvd function. I want to make power with the car but at same time I am contemplating
A second sti for that as I would lime to keep the mileage down this one . Ideas for minor upgrades would be greatly apreciated I aam not atest to building it... not evey day I see low miles and stock but a little sound would be nice toutch=P

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I like... I would recommend a stage two upgrade and tune. It doesn't require a significant amount of hardware and you gain a significant amount of HP without compromising the stock motor. For it you will need a turbo back exhaust and a fuel pump at the very least. For even more improvement, a larger top mount IC and phenolic spacers will go a long way but not needed. Don't be fooled into cold air intakes and BOV or front mount intercoolers They are a waste of money and offer no advantage until you go big turbo.

Good luck with her! Oh and keep an eye on your oil and change it often. These engine go through allot. Rule of thumb... check oil at every fill-up. :tup:

droopys

Thanks for the heads up on oil. Wouldn't consider bov no need from what u said and my understanding that the factory bov is safe till around the 400 hp range, correct me if I'm wrong. Tune is prety necesary with exhaust? In saying that the best bang for my buck would be accessport? Than look into exhaust? Any advice on a reasonably quiet exhaust I want that amazing sound just not to loud

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
If you do a cat back exhaust then no tune needed but if you go turbo back then yes you will need to tune. The Access Port is not required because there is an open source solution for your car. However, the AccessPort is very convenient and you can run the OTS maps that come with it until you decide to go with a pro-tune. You can even leave it completely stock and run the stage 1 tune for now but if you do go stage 2, I do recommend a pro-tune versus the OTS map that comes with it. If you go open source you will need a pro-tune no matter what. The key to a good tune is to find the right tuner. Find one that works only on or mostly on Subaru or has years of experience under his belt. Don't be afraid to ask your tuner questions but go in educated.

As for bang for the buck IMO, susppension is where you get most of your driving pleasure from. These cars could do with some improvement in handling. Sway bars and bushings, Steering rack bushings, shifter bushings and other mods. Get yourself familiar with the way the car drives and then you will be better prepared to handle the power later on.

Exhaust? I like the Invidia N1 street for your car because it has that deep rumble yet remains quiet enough not to draw to much attention. It is really good quality without being overly expensive but it is still pretty pricey. There are a ton of good exhaust systems out there. One thing to you could do is to see what others are using and maybe go to some meets and see what they sound like in person.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
also visual upgrades are easy and help make the car yours without molesting it too much.

Wheels. Front Lips. Mudflaps. Window Tint. Rain Guards. Foglights. Etc. Lots of things you can do to the car and still keep it in "stock" condition.

droopys

I'm building mounts for a led bar, debating a vortex generator or a spine. Got window tint but needs to be redone. Planning on rack bushing in the next few weekas and probably look into sways. How about Strut towers? Was planing on drawing something up so I could build some kind of support?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'm building mounts for a led bar, debating a vortex generator or a spine. Got window tint but needs to be redone. Planning on rack bushing in the next few weekas and probably look into sways. How about Strut towers? Was planing on drawing something up so I could build some kind of support?

Strut tower braces in the front are not needed... Save the weight. The reason is the strut tower on the STi is part of the fire wall and the stability is inherent in its design. A rear strut brace makes better sense. If you like the look of the front strut brace then by all means have at it. :tup: :D

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Nice, lol.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Rear strut braces are definitely worth it. I did a DIY "chassis bridge" and it even cut down on some of the creaks/groans when pulling into my uneven driveway.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Not gonna lie, but we did strut braces from whiteline on my 04 STi and the creaks/groans did go away.

So the million dollar question is.... How many creaks/groans do you have?

droopys

Hardly any =P but there are a few.. hardly knoticeable but I'm shure that will change when the car get some more miles on it... in removing the ram air scoop is there going to be any potential harm in doing so?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
well, not "harm" but the ram/scoop is actually pretty effective at drawing in ambient air. I know it looks a little "meh" but i'd leave it unless you're going for a well desgined CAI or something.

Even then, a CAI isnt really needed for most applications. The intake on the sti is actually pretty good!! If you do a drop in K&N filter, you can keep your stock airbox until you're pushing...maybe 400+ whp? That number is clearly up for discussion, but the intake is far less restrictive than things like exhaust, or injectors.