New Here

hubaru

Hello everyone,

New here, I can't recall how I heard of this site but I think it had to do with a post from AWDTuning on FB.

I drive a MY13 WRX silver metallic hatch and I purchased it new back in Nov 2012 with only ~25 miles on the ODO (7xxx miles now). I really wanted the Aspen White but there were none to be found around here and mine was one of two hatches available at the time, the rest were sedans. I use M1 0W-40 every 4,000 or so miles (changed @ 1K and ~5K miles) and the Mazda 8(?) black filters purchased from fredbeansparts. I'll probably switch out the 0W-40 for a stout 30 grade in December for the winter months but haven't made a final decision on that one yet as I can't seem to be able to get my hands on Penn Ultra anymore.

Within the first week of owning it I received my first door ding on my rear quarter panel on top of the body line. I was able to get the majority of the dent pushed out but there's still a fine point on top of the edge to remind me everytime I get in my car. Then, around January, I saw that I managed to put a crack in the bottom portion of the front bumper. 7 years I owned my Ion Redline and not a scratch, other than some rock chips, but for some reason the car Gods have been angry with me.

So far I have accomplished the following:
1. Winter tires/rims
2. Group-N Trans mount & TIC CM bushings
3. Kartboy front/rear shifter bushings
4. Kartboy front/rear endlinks
5. Beatrush pitch stop mount
6. Group-N engine mounts (not installed)
7. Rally Armor mud flaps
8. PTP blanket
9. Perrin DP blanket

Also, I am on order for the GTWORX/Bilstein Impreza WRX Cup Sport Kit w/ yellow springs which should be ready to go sometime in September.

My final mods for this year:
1. differential inserts
2. rear subframe inserts
3. stearing rack bushings

Not really sure where I will go after all of this, probably the 2-pot rear conversion, killer-b oil pan/baffle/pick-up, lighter summer rims and better tires, STi front control arms (if possible) and bushings for the lateral links. Not too interested in cosmetics, I did drive a Saturn for 7 years lol.

I haven't made the decision to tune yet. I don't drive the car very hard and I am not going to be tracking anytime soon. I know the stock tune isn't the greatest but it is tied to a warranty that I can't afford to part with right now.

Thanks for reading through all of this and I am looking forward to being a member here.

Brian

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Welcome! Nice looking car.

You may want to check with your dealer. I know some near me sell (and warranty) the AP. You can expect to pay full MSRP but you get the power, safer tune AND the dealer-insured reliability.

I'm surprised you're putting in your new suspension just in time for winter.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Welcome to the team. Glad you could join us.

Mods are an addiction, lol.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I feel you are on the right track mod-wise... You started with suspension and chassis which is best IMO. You will have the opportunity to get to know your car and it's abilities before you put power into it. My mistake was starting with the engine first and I never really got past that point enough to do proper suspension mods.

Welcome and enjoy! Check out the member's journals and feel free to start your own. :D

hubaru

Welcome! Nice looking car.

You may want to check with your dealer. I know some near me sell (and warranty) the AP. You can expect to pay full MSRP but you get the power, safer tune AND the dealer-insured reliability.

I'm surprised you're putting in your new suspension just in time for winter.

Thank you.

There's only one dealer around me where that might be a slight possibility but I have not yet checked. If I were to tune via the AP I'd want an e-tune for stage 1 or pro tune for stage 2, not a fan of the OTS tunes. So not sure if the dealer would still help me out if I were to run into mechanical problems.
As far as the suspension goes, I am not sure if I'll get it in this fall or not. I finally had the money for it and didn't want the wife to spend it first lol. It was a pre-order.

Welcome to the team. Glad you could join us.

Mods are an addiction, lol.

Welcome. Nice hatch

Thanks to both of you.

Mods were one of the reasons I went with a WRX, not much of an after market for Redlines.

I feel you are on the right track mod-wise... You started with suspension and chassis which is best IMO. You will have the opportunity to get to know your car and it's abilities before you put power into it. My mistake was starting with the engine first and I never really got past that point enough to do proper suspension mods.

Welcome and enjoy! Check out the member's journals and feel free to start your own. :D

Thanks to you as well. I'm really into suspension mods, not so much the go-fast bits. It is something I am able to do myself and I enjoy spending time out in the garage working on my car.
I've been burned by a few shops in the past so I am really apprehensive with having work done on my car and the engine is a mystery to me. I'd like to learn and, maybe, bit by bit I will but for now I am going to try and keep my head above water. So its sort of suspension by default, lolz.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome Brian! Youve made a great decision to start with handling over power. I think majority of new owners do power first. I was one of those guys unfortunately but now im working on only suspension. As ive grown older and appreciated my car more and more i have turned to suspension over power. I definitely want to follow your progress and see your car step by step along the way of your modding career. Its great to have you here and we will support you 100% of the way. If you have any questions do a forum search and if it wasnt already asked you can post a new thread. Our professional gearheads will have the answers to almost everything. You should also post some more pictures for us! :D :tup:

hubaru

Welcome Brian! Youve made a great decision to start with handling over power. I think majority of new owners do power first. I was one of those guys unfortunately but now im working on only suspension. As ive grown older and appreciated my car more and more i have turned to suspension over power. I definitely want to follow your progress and see your car step by step along the way of your modding career. Its great to have you here and we will support you 100% of the way. If you have any questions do a forum search and if it wasnt already asked you can post a new thread. Our professional gearheads will have the answers to almost everything. You should also post some more pictures for us! :D :tup:

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

I'm not sure how my progress will go after I finish all the little (inexpensive) things. I have to replace an air conditioner next year and in March of 2015 the whole family (wife and 2 daughters) are headed back to the Philippines to visit her family for 4 weeks. Nice vacation but murder on the savings account!
Once I get the inserts, steering rack bushing, and wheels/tires done I am going to have to sit down and really think about what I want out of this car. I just don't want to throw mods at it for the sake of modding.

Thanks again.