imprezed04

Hello everyone. I'm a new member here, however been a member at NASIOC for over 5 years now. Subies are just all around awesome vehicles with endless possibilities. I have built my own engines on these cars for a couple years and know my way around. I will be moving to Ft. Hood, Texas here in the next week or so and will be bringing my 2004 WRB STi along with me. I lucked out when returning back to the States and picked up this little gem. She's all stock aside from the TBE that is on the car. I have recently purchased a COBB AP to go along with the car, which I have received today and will be testing the various things that can be done with it. I'm looking forward to being a contributing member, both here and at NASIOC. If there's any members that will be in the same area, I'll be hosting get togethers and what not from time to time as well.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Welcome to the team.

Your also fine out this community is nothing like nasioc. :)

imprezed04

Sounds like a plan. I'm just looking for a place to discuss cars in a relaxed environment ;). As I said, I also fully intend to be a supporting member here, and look forward to supporting the site, staff and other members as well.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Awesome. Glad you're here.

Also just go ahead and try to find nothing but love here. We are a no drama community, and respect each other. :)

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Don't tell the peeps here, but 04 is the best. :)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Welcome and Enjoy! :D

Check out the member's journals and feel free to start your own! :tup:

imprezed04

So, I'll give the back story.. in 2009 I purchased a 2004 WRX in Anchorage, Alaska.. I was not thoroughly impressed with the car when I bought it, but after a few bolt ons and a very tight knit Subie Group in Anchorage, I began to extremely enjoy the car. I spun a connecting rod bearing, due to using Royal Purple.. Will NEVER make that mistake again. Continental Subaru in Anchorage quoted me $6000 for a factory, replacement long block.. Unimpressed I called a machine shop, went with larger forged pistons, forged rods, valves, valve springs, retainers, cams, port matched the entire block, port and polished the head unsprung 6 puck clutch, light weight flywheel, turbo was pnp'd, clipped turbine wheel, GT spec unequal length headers, catless up / down / mid pipe, Blitz Nur Spec R race pipe, mid and axle back, supporting injector upgrade, walbro 155lph fuel pump, Tein S Tech springs and a number of other goodies I can not remember specifically off the top of my head.

After the final build was done, and the final tune was on the car, I was literally floored at the increase in torque, power, pull, sound and many other aspects of the car.. again, keep in mind all this work was done ON THE 2.0l Block... I then was put on orders to Okinawa, Japan for 3 yesrs, so I sold the WRX to a fellow member on the forums and went to Okinawa. I had a couple fun cars there, BUT I kept telling myself and the wife that when I get back to the States, I'll get another 2004 Impreza.. this time it HAD to be an STi. The STi gives a larger engine, better power, suspension, brakes, rims, and many other upgrades that would make the next build all the better and give me more of what I was looking for.

This is why I have the 2004 STi. I picked her up for $11,800 with 111k miles. She is all stock, aside from the TBE and AP. Since buying the car 3 weeks ago, I've completed the 90 and 100k mile maintenance (plugs, wires, all belts, water pump, etc.) and then went and replaced the steering box, because it was leaking. Aside from that, she's a blast to drive, corners like she's on rails and I could not be any happier to get such a solid car for the price I got her at.

Just wanted to give everyone a little bit of background as to why I settled on this car.. As far as the 2004's being the best, I love the styling on the 2004-2005 however, the hawkeye look on the 2006 is still pretty sexy. In the future, I might try to get a 2006 STi as well.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Wow did you steal that! Great price!!!! :tup:

I really need to put more mile on mine, lol. 13,500 miles just seems so little. :rofl:

imprezed04

The car was listed at $14,500 on craigslist and I saw it while I was still in Okinawa, Japan. I contacted the owner and expressed my interest and that I would be giving my father in-law power of attorney to purchase the car on my behalf. My father in-law thoroughly checked the car, took it to the Subaru dealership to get checked and informed the previous owner that it was due for the timing belt change and all of the maintenance it needed (lowered the price). After 3 weeks of back and forth with the previous owner, I found out he was leaving the U.S. on short time and HAD to get rid of the car. My father in-law and I agreed to pay $13,300 to the previous owner however, we were unable to reach him for about a week. When we finally reached him, he stated that he was leaving within 2 weeks and needed to get rid of the car and wanted to sell it to someone that knows about these cars and wouldn't immediately destroy it in a month. My father in-law met him on a thursday and offered $11,800 cash. The owner agreed, and then stated that he had a loan in his name on the car for $12,500. So, the owner had to come out of pocket $700 to pay off his own loan and sell the car! The plus side to this is, I get the car at a REALLY good price, and the previous owner gets a positive mark on his credit for a loan paid off in full. He also gets to leave the U.S. with a clear conscience.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Well that worked out great for you.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member

imprezed04

I'll have to look into it. Tuning is something I was looking into, to give me another tool to add to the kit and build on the knowledge I already have for these cars, but I may hit him up and see what pointers I can learn and what his maps look like. ;)

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I'll have to look into it. Tuning is something I was looking into, to give me another tool to add to the kit and build on the knowledge I already have for these cars, but I may hit him up and see what pointers I can learn and what his maps look like. ;)

He knows his stuff.

imprezed04

I've been looking through the threads and see his name in a few places for tuning, not to mention the information he has given. I would love to have a conversation with him some time and get a better understanding of tuning from his point of view. I can only imagine the car that would come out between his tuning knowledge and my engine building experience.. Would be AMAZING!... oh the possibilities.. Just as a heads up for anyone in Tampa looking for CUSTOM body work.. I have a few connections that can do some awesome work as well.. My friend offered to do a CUSTOM wide body kit on my STi.. If I weren't leaving in a couple days to drive to Texas I'd be down but, I'll be sending it back here for the kit when I get the stance right and rim choice right.