New member.

yanez.alex1108

My name is Alex and in 25. I'm new to the Sti fam. I'm really diggin my 2011 Subaru Sti.
e69dff000a5baa2e10d9fb4d970eb3e7.jpg

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Welcome friend.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Welcome!

Got anything planned as far as mods go, or anything done already? Other than tint...what is that 5%?!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Nothing planned yet. Any suggestions on what to start on first? And it is a 5% tint.

Sway bars (adjustable are preferred), endlinks and polyurethane bushings. I often recommend sway bar mounts as well, but I think I mostly stand alone on that opinion here. If you want to take things a step further, you could consider upgrading the shifter bushings, as well as a Group N engine pitch stop and Group N transmission mount.

As for power, a full turboback exhaust and a Cobb AP ('Accessport' with OTS tune) is a good move. I would follow this up with a professional tune, though that is not absolutely needed. HolyCrapItsFast does e-tunes for forum members. Check out this link if you are interested:

http://igotasti.com/vBforum/showthr...ing-Members?highlight=e-tune+platinum+members

Consult us before buying an exhaust, especially a downpipe.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Swaybars are the best bang for the buck in terms of anything but straight line speed. Get 'em installed ASAP. After that you get into a much murkier world. For stance, you can go with just lowering springs, that can also help (or hurt!) performance. Then fixed perch struts, then coilovers. Camber plates. Then there's a whollllllle world of bushings that can be replaced to be stiffer which a) makes the car respond better b) can make the ride much harsher.

Anything to do with power you're gonna either need a Tactrix or AccessPort (read here: http://igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php/7211-Cobb-Accessport-(-)-VS-Open-Source-Tuning). A good "first" power mod is a downpipe...lots of options, some better than others. I'm not positive on newer STIs, but on my generation fuel pumps get to be needed quickly, along with injectors, if you start really getting any significant power gains.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Oh!!

I always forget to mention the least fun mods of all, "longevity."

IIRC Subaru has not updated its oil pickup from its old, very poor, design. If you dont know how engines work, just think of the oil pickup as the straw that sucks oil for the whole engine. The straw has a habit of breaking at the top, meaning very suddenly the whole enginel isn't getting any oil. What's the actual failure rate of these? I don't think anyone REALLY knows, but there are lots of cases. In reality its probably like .1% but a new pickup is ~$100-200 and for me thats worth not getting stranded somewhere and having to pay for a new engine. Granted, in the scheme of things .1%*$5k for an engine is technically less than the pickup, but whatever.

Also to consider, for long term engine health:
Gauges to, you know, monitor things. Boost is the most "fun" but probably least useful to monitor things (vs AFR, oil temp/press, EGT, etc...)
Air Oil Separator (lots of blowby is common and not good, but not "fatal")
Ummmm, i'm sure there are more.

And then there are performance/looks mods of course. And by this I mean wheels. That's been the first thing i've done to literally every car I've owned. They do technically (usually) offer a performance benefit, but the REAL gains are in looks and personalization. You can get wing stiffies, carbon fiber bits, etc...

And then there's my personal favorite: weight loss! There's usually a few things you can remove without noticing, for free. After that you're generally better off spending $100 on power vs weight reduction in the power-to-weight ratio equation, but weight makes you go around corners faster, etc... Wheels can save weight if you do it right...hence the benefit mentioned above. I've done CF for my trunk, deleted the wing, except for track days, gone to JDM bumper beams, etc...

Anyways, I hope that's food for thought!