New Perrin CAI doesn't require retune.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Do any of you realise the new Perrin CAI has an air straightener that controls the imperfections in the air flow to be the same as the oem intake air flow? hence, no tune required.

Mishimoto came out with this same design a couple weeks before Perrin. They even published the engineering report that explains everything. I highly suggest that everyone reads it.

Both Perrin and Mishimoto use the exact same design, but the difference is in the filter. Mishimoto uses an oiled filter and Perrin uses a DryFlow filter.

They must have done that fairly recently then. The one that is on my friends car is void of any flow straightener and it needed a shit ton of tuning. Regardless I would still like to see data on one so I will reserve judgement till then. It looks like a nice piece though. Perhaps the new design does, in fact, work as described but I'm so leery of company sourced testimony because most of what's out there is snake oil. Really the only thing that will convince me are before/after dyno results using one car and before/after data logs of normal street driving and WOT. I may have to wait till I have one to tune.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'd actually like to get one of these on the dyno... Perhaps I will convince my friend to get one :lol:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Anyone hear anything else about this?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Still no updates on this?!

captaindrp82

I'll add my 2 cents, strickly my own experience. Being my 2015 sti is my daily driver and i put a ton of milage on it, at a point when most people still couldn't even get one i came up on the first oil change. The dealer claimed they couldn't get me a filter yet, so another 1,000 miles and still the same answer from dealer and parts stores. Being new to subarus, i wasn't to sure of later model filters working. so i found perrin had the full CAI with claims of no need to re-tune. So i ordered it mainly to get a new filter, after changing it the "attitude " was definitely different in the car, but no issues, no codes. But the comunnity of vetran subaru folks basically worried me into purchasing an accesport. I purchased it from Perrin with a bit of knowledge that some research netted me. The info i speak of is that if you purchase the V3 from perrin and their CAI they will send you a stage 1 tune specifically for their CAI vs. The stage 1 tune for the cobb intake. So for the guys supporting "always tune" here is your ammo, why would they make a tune if it didn't need it? But for those on the other side, my car ran fine. As a consumer standpoint an never having used a CAI in any of my past projects it sounds great, even though the stock "noise generator " gets the boot, And it actually makes the stock BPV sound like it's venting to atmosphere. So for me, my quest for a loud obnoxious car got a decent start.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I'll add my 2 cents, strickly my own experience. Being my 2015 sti is my daily driver and i put a ton of milage on it, at a point when most people still couldn't even get one i came up on the first oil change. The dealer claimed they couldn't get me a filter yet, so another 1,000 miles and still the same answer from dealer and parts stores. Being new to subarus, i wasn't to sure of later model filters working. so i found perrin had the full CAI with claims of no need to re-tune. So i ordered it mainly to get a new filter, after changing it the "attitude " was definitely different in the car, but no issues, no codes. But the comunnity of vetran subaru folks basically worried me into purchasing an accesport. I purchased it from Perrin with a bit of knowledge that some research netted me. The info i speak of is that if you purchase the V3 from perrin and their CAI they will send you a stage 1 tune specifically for their CAI vs. The stage 1 tune for the cobb intake. So for the guys supporting "always tune" here is your ammo, why would they make a tune if it didn't need it? But for those on the other side, my car ran fine. As a consumer standpoint an never having used a CAI in any of my past projects it sounds great, even though the stock "noise generator " gets the boot, And it actually makes the stock BPV sound like it's venting to atmosphere. So for me, my quest for a loud obnoxious car got a decent start.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

@TK-421 @HolyCrapItsFast see this?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=3944]captaindrp82[/MENTION] did you get any driving logs with the intake on PRIOR to the tune? That will tell us everything we need to do in order to come to conclusion.

Can you share the cobb stage 1 ots map and the perrin stage 1 map with us so we can compare them?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy

Thanks for that. It does spark curiosity since they are sending specific maps for the CAI. Now, however we all know tuning will help gain more performance and safely.

I looked a few weeks back at Perrin's site and found no more claims regarding "no tune" necessary.

I will say this and I'm definitely not trying to be nasty or argumentative, noticing the car not running poorly is not an absolute indicator. Data Logging for knock, maf and AFR's would give a better indication of whether or not the car is running at its optimum level.

I really really wish someone would log this intake on a bone stock, untuned car.

captaindrp82

Unfortunately i did not do any pre logging. I actually had the CAI before the V3 and once i got it i simply flashed in the perrin tune and went about my way. Once i did the tune i watched for feedback knock and fine knock learn and it ran 0. It's only been since here in VA we have recently had real cold weather i have had some small amounts of feedback showing up quickly and going away, highest numer being -1.40. I've consulted with a tuner whom i'm getting a pro-tune from and he gave me a brief explanation of how the ecu removes timing but said it sounds ok and just the ecu doing its job. I have a messed up laptop that i need to get fixed, otherwise I'd try and share some logs

TK-421

Unfortunately i did not do any pre logging. I actually had the CAI before the V3 and once i got it i simply flashed in the perrin tune and went about my way. Once i did the tune i watched for feedback knock and fine knock learn and it ran 0. It's only been since here in VA we have recently had real cold weather i have had some small amounts of feedback showing up quickly and going away, highest numer being -1.40. I've consulted with a tuner whom i'm getting a pro-tune from and he gave me a brief explanation of how the ecu removes timing but said it sounds ok and just the ecu doing its job. I have a messed up laptop that i need to get fixed, otherwise I'd try and share some logs

Eh.... On a solid tune you should see absolute ZERO knock. Sounds like Perrin just crudely scaled the MAF calibration to work with their intake in their locale.

What your tuner said is correct with how the ECU functions and doing its job, but if that's how he is and he is comfortable with letting your car run any sort of knock correction I would strongly reconsider your tuner choice.

Now on the other hand you could get a premium membership here and have [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] or myself tune your car as we are both tuners and I do this for a living.

From experience any aftermarket intake regardless of its cobb, perrin, AEM, KSTech whatever your poison is requires adjustments to the MAF scaling due to locale, Baro pressure, temps and altitude. The only way this would be a moot point is if you were running a Speed Density Conversion.

The Perrin Map is just a version of the Cobb OTS that has its MAF scaled to their intake.

George and I both agree that the Cobb OTS maps are pretty much a bandaid, we call them sledgehammer tunes. OTS maps are so rich with so little timing adjustments it makes you wonder why in the hell you pay $650 for it all?

I could go on and on and on for hours and in great length about MAF base tuning compared to MAP based Speed Density with VE commanded fueling, but that's really not how I want to spend my Saturday evening, and this post is already starting to look and sound like a NASIOC thread and well that's not something we are known for here.