New Perrin CAI doesn't require retune.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Everybody just get a drop in K&N filter and be done with it :lol:. The only system I would recommend to a client, if they have a hard on for an after market intake, is a short ram in combination with a cold air box. That combination should out perform any CAI because you are not reducing the flow by increasing the plenum length, but still maintain the cold air function by utilizing the cold air box.

Like I said I wont believe it until I see a side by side comparison of logs derived from the stock box and then the Perrin on the same stock car with the same stock tune. :tup: I have seen to many aftermarket CIA's that wildly skewed the fuel trims even though they were the same inside diameter as the stock unit. Why would Perrin be any different.

I dont really disagree with anything you said. Most auto makers put more $$$ into the engineering of a doorhandle than any aftermarket company does to any part they produce.

But Subaru's tune from the factory is pretty well known to be bad, especially on my year (07) so dont go fooling yourself into thinking that they put the best running car on the street. If they were really awesome they'd have fixed that, gone to SD, etc... They did the best they cared to given the time it takes to do a good tune, EPA, etc.

Is it though? What was the percentage of failures versus success? There is no doubt in my mind that there may have been some mistake or issues but as far as it being that bad is a bold claim on your part. Now take those failures and see how many of those were people and their subarus running aftermarket parts with the same mentality as you. The results would be hard to obtain and the research is far more extensive than what many would be willing to do. In any matter those bona-fide failures would be have happened early in the lifetime of the vehicle and be covered under subaru's warranty. I never calimed that subarus were the best running cars on the street but they definitely do run nice in stock trim no doubt compared to those with big cams, massive in/ex ports, and no little to no tune. There is a reason why subaru, mitsu, and gm went to maf based fueling and its mostly because of the drivability and economy of the car as well as it being more precise in the fueling hence the increased need for a tune.

You even say yourself how the stock EVAP system is crap, so what makes you think that the intake they designed is the best thing ever? The ringlands they specced out arent and neither are the oil pickups.

evap system is required for emission standards. Has little to nothing to do with the design. again i ringlands and pickups are a small percentage but are blown out of proportion by online forums. How many "oil pickup is crap" threads have you counted or "car is blowing white smoke=think i broke a ringland" thread have you seen on the forums? say your saw three threads like this. is that considered alot? how many of these threads would make you start to worry your engine is made of glass? even if you saw 100 compared to the number of cars subaru sold is probably a fraction of the percentage of failures. I have an 05 that made it to 110,000 miles with no issues burning oil, broken ringland, or busted oil pickup. but guess what, that doesnt create drama that fucks with peoples' heads like a financial loss (motor rebuild etc...) granted my motor still failed at approximately that mark. Why? because of a combination of parts and an OTS map and the previous owner(s) not taking care of the motor and it spun a bearing. I never said the intake is the best thing ever either but actual engineering went into it and has built in features that make it work well. definitely better than any aftermarket intake ive seen.

Im just saying, calm down a bit. Subaru != God.

Never said that. Although i do like the car. It is a nice car and alot of solid engineering has gone into it and you can tell. Just because a few failures happen there is no need to get all bent out of shape about it. It just seems funny to me that all these failures are noted on the "performance" cars that subaru makes but not on their legacy's, impreza's, or tribecas that are all made from the same materials and had less specialized engineers working on these.

In a "properly" designed intake, a tune should not need a retune. What both you and Holy said makes sense...in a poorly made intake. Or in an intake purposefully designed to be weird. Why not put the MAF a tiny bit farther back so the flow can laminarize no matter what intake/element is put on?

Your right when you say properly. Proper tune for stock intake should be the stock tune which it should be and generally is unless you have a log pointing out otherwise. most aftermarket intakes arent necessarily poorly made, but are made with little testing, r&d, and time and money invested in order to maximize profit. There is a reason why aftermarket parts void warranties and many people do not heed these warnings. I'm not really sure what you mean by laminarize but im guessing you were trying to say even and smooth flow of the intake charge. generally speaking, intakes that have more thought put in do incorporate designs like putting the sensor in a straight section of the pipe but that isnt going to be consistent in every scenario and unless you install the intake exactly how the manufacturer did when testing (almost impossible to know) or every time you uninstall and install it, it can change the way air flows and skew the trims. again this is why the stock air box is designed the way it is and really goes on there one way(think about it). The best remedy is a maf housing screen or air straightener of some sort incorporated into the intake and again. the cobb SRI is the only one i have seen that has this in their design that does well with the stock "tune".

Please dont think i am trying to cut you down. I merely used your post to build off of because of the point you made. The bottom line is if you take care of your car and modify it properly you will not see problems. If anyone can tell me that they had an all stock car with stock tune, drove it rationally, and it still failed (failed from personal experience) and the dealer would not cover it under warranty then i would love to hear it. til then, crickets.

Here was their response to my confusion.. Just figured someone might like to pick it apart and review it

• PERRIN PERFORMANCE- Most modern cars use a Mass Air Flow based ECU, so anytime you see more air, fuel is automatically added. When you have an intake system that frees up air flow (no restriction), it will automatically add more fuel and make more HP. The thing is, your statement is wrong if the car already runs a richer AFR. You can add more air and NOT add more fuel, which will gain HP leaning out the AFR. So speaking generally about this topic, can be kind of hard. There are a lot of variables to describing how this works and why it makes power. This may be better done over the phone with a tech. Give us a call if you'd like more information, (503)-693-1702

meh, shotgun statement. more air that is read by the maf sensor does = more fuel as a rule of thumb. once again who is to say the numbers will be right in the end with no tune? this can only be determined with proper logging and tuning.

just want to put this out there. My buddy is running an AEM cai that claims it has been specifically designed, tested, and tuned for the vehicle application. I pulled up a leaning view snapshot of his car and seen that the a/f learning is as much as +10 in some ranges. Meaning that the motor is adding 10% more fuel in idle and cruising conditions because the intake is flowing more air at certain points creating a lean condition and the ecu is compensating for it by adding fuel in closed loop. The ecu can make changes and corrections in closed loop but once it hits open loop (WOT/Heavy load conditions) it cannot compensate so the motor will run leaner a/fr's with then creates the potential for problems such as detonation and high egt's that turns metal into molten lava lol...

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Please dont think i am trying to cut you down. I merely used your post to build off of because of the point you made. The bottom line is if you take care of your car and modify it properly you will not see problems. If anyone can tell me that they had an all stock car with stock tune, drove it rationally, and it still failed (failed from personal experience) and the dealer would not cover it under warranty then i would love to hear it. til then, crickets.

I think you missed my point. Perhaps this is better in a different thread, but in the mean time i'll post it here.

My point is simply that many/most cars are able to accept an intake with no tune. Case-in-point is adding a K&N filter causes no problems. The engine sensor (map, maf, engine gnome, etc...) tells the ECU about more air, and then more fuel is added. I know subaru put a lot of R&D into the intake, but it's definitely counter-intuitive to think that intake should require a tune.

I'm pretty sure there is concrete evidence that the 07 tune is bad (ie logs prove it). It was done for a reason, after lots of R&D. But it was probably considered cheaper to replace a few motors than whatever else they would've had to do to pass emissions. Ditto the EVAP. It works, but pretty much nobody says its a *good* evap system. I think theres a 100+ page discussion about it on a different forum. It was a cost-effective solution. Ditto the piston design. A few replaced motors costs less than speccing better materials, or redesigning the ringlands. Heck, in their pre-production testing of motors they may have never a failure since the failure rate is relatively low (you're right on that one). But once all the wheels were turning, it wasn't cost effective to re R&D the thing. You say yourself how much R&D they have to do for every part. Ditto the oil pickups. Those dont fail quickly, so you'll probably be out of warranty...and if you are in warranty, still cheaper to leave them as-is than re-do their production line. And again, they may have never seen a failure on a pre-production test car. BUT: You can be damn sure if a seatbelt failure rate was the same as any of the above listed failure rates, there'd be a recall and redesign. Human lives cost a lot for class-action lawsuits, and a few failures WOULD be more expensive than a redesign.

So my bottom line: the intake on this car is counter intuitive. Subaru did everything they did with cost in mind.

I think you missed my point. Perhaps this is better in a different thread, but in the mean time i'll post it here.

My point is simply that many/most cars are able to accept an intake with no tune. Case-in-point is adding a K&N filter causes no problems. The engine sensor (map, maf, engine gnome, etc...) tells the ECU about more air, and then more fuel is added. I know subaru put a lot of R&D into the intake, but it's definitely counter-intuitive to think that intake should require a tune.

Your theory is right but the logic is wrong. When it comes to modifying any EFI motor proper calibration is required. It doesnt matter if its an intake, cams, or heads. Anything to make the motor run more efficient (efiiciency=power) and changing the design of something previously engineered requires recalibration (tuning) of the ecu. Thus making it not counterintuitive.

I'm pretty sure there is concrete evidence that the 07 tune is bad (ie logs prove it). It was done for a reason, after lots of R&D. But it was probably considered cheaper to replace a few motors than whatever else they would've had to do to pass emissions.

Saying probably and things like that is speculation and saying it was done for a reason leads to saying they did it on purpose and could care less. This is bad CSR practice and again i dont believe this is the case since your only find this problem amongst subaru's performance vehicles on threads that blame the manufacturer.

Ditto the EVAP. It works, but pretty much nobody says its a *good* evap system. I think theres a 100+ page discussion about it on a different forum. It was a cost-effective solution.

unrelated

Ditto the piston design. A few replaced motors costs less than speccing better materials, or redesigning the ringlands. Heck, in their pre-production testing of motors they may have never a failure since the failure rate is relatively low (you're right on that one). But once all the wheels were turning, it wasn't cost effective to re R&D the thing. You say yourself how much R&D they have to do for every part.

materials and design is speculation. If this really was the case there would be failures across all cars. For subaru it would be good CSR practice to do recalls IF there was a liability or a large number of failures at which point in time they would initiate a recall. you may be right that it is cheaper to just repair under warranty since the cost to profit margin was so small they deemed it unnecessary to do so but without figures in front of me its hard to say for sure.

Ditto the oil pickups. Those dont fail quickly, so you'll probably be out of warranty...and if you are in warranty, still cheaper to leave them as-is than re-do their production line. And again, they may have never seen a failure on a pre-production test car. BUT: You can be damn sure if a seatbelt failure rate was the same as any of the above listed failure rates, there'd be a recall and redesign. Human lives cost a lot for class-action lawsuits, and a few failures WOULD be more expensive than a redesign.

True on leaving them in and replacing them. Manufacturers have teams of people that study all of the figures and make a call from that. When it comes to more major liabilities like human life then it would just make sense to do a recall. but here again the failures we are talking about are very specific to the model and not the brand so the only logical thing a company or any outsider looking in would do is bring the vehicle in to swap out the part.

So my bottom line: the intake on this car is counter intuitive. Subaru did everything they did with cost in mind.

I already addressed the counter-intuitiveness of the intake. The technology used here is not vehicle specific therefore the theory does not hold true for "this car" alone. Any company that makes any product will always keep cost in mind and i bet if you ran a company you would want to increase the profit margin in the way you would feel is ethically or morally correct.

The way you make it sound is that subaru is cutting cost by choosing to make an intake system that may be proprietary in which i do not see a relation. so i guess i am missing your point.

WesternSTi

The Music Man
Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I've heard is that every time you do an Engine mod to an STi, it will need a new tune. Is that about right?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I've heard is that every time you do an Engine mod to an STi, it will need a new tune. Is that about right?

Ill let the experts talk but yes. Subarus are feisty when it comes to blowing sucking banging and combusting components, so yes tune tune tune!

Holycrapitsfast has an AMAZING write up on it somewhere on the forum!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!

My answer would be "It depends"

To expand on that... It depends if the logs are happy or not :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Many of the issues you guys are talking about with regards to factory tune and design have mostly to do with emissions and related laws. I believe they simply have no choice because they have the governments hands around their throats dictating how much gas mileage a car should get and how much CO2 it can emit..

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Ill let the experts talk but yes. Subarus are feisty when it comes to blowing sucking banging and combusting components, so yes tune tune tune!

Holycrapitsfast has an AMAZING write up on it somewhere on the forum!

I don't think I do :D

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Many of the issues you guys are talking about with regards to factory tune and design have mostly to do with emissions and related laws. I believe they simply have no choice because they have the governments hands around their throats dictating how much gas mileage a car should get and how much CO2 it can emit..

IIRC, Not "how much" unfortunately, at least in some cases. The "secondary air pump" thing is just to add O2 to the already produced CO2, making it more dilute, but just as much. DUMB. It's no cleaner, but now it passes emissions...:bang:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I believe the air pump adds oxygen to allow the catalytic converter to be more efficient... I think :tard:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
maybe
Here's what wiki said:
Some three-way catalytic converter systems have air injection systems with the air injected between the first (NOx reduction) and second (HC and CO oxidation) stages of the converter. As in the two-way converters, this injected air provides oxygen for the oxidation reactions. An upstream air injection point, ahead of the catalytic converter, is also sometimes present to provide oxygen during engine warmup, which causes unburned fuel to ignite in the exhaust tract before reaching the catalytic converter. This reduces the engine runtime needed for the catalytic converter to reach its "light-off" or operating temperature.

Could explain the tune too?

Noximus

Do any of you realise the new Perrin CAI has an air straightener that controls the imperfections in the air flow to be the same as the oem intake air flow? hence, no tune required.

Mishimoto came out with this same design a couple weeks before Perrin. They even published the engineering report that explains everything. I highly suggest that everyone reads it.

Both Perrin and Mishimoto use the exact same design, but the difference is in the filter. Mishimoto uses an oiled filter and Perrin uses a DryFlow filter.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Do any of you realise the new Perrin CAI has an air straightener that controls the imperfections in the air flow to be the same as the oem intake air flow? hence, no tune required.

Mishimoto came out with this same design a couple weeks before Perrin. They even published the engineering report that explains everything. I highly suggest that everyone reads it.

Both Perrin and Mishimoto use the exact same design, but the difference is in the filter. Mishimoto uses an oiled filter and Perrin uses a DryFlow filter.

I'm no tuner but I'm just skeptical that this is a miracle part.
Until I see this being used without a tune in the real world and all of the results are the same or nearly so, I'm going to have reservations.

Noximus

Completely understandable. Head over to the Mishimoto website. The engineering report is an amazing read. It explains almost everything doubted here.

They've also said that it's been tested on stock vehicles as DDs.

Right now though, it's Perrin and Mishimoto's word until testimonials come out.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
For my car, unless someone ponies up and picks up the warranty (eg Dinan with BMWs) I'll probably still take logs and retune.

Just 'cuz you can doesn't mean its the best idea.