New to the site true lover of the sti

Rick2011sti

Just joined own a 2011 sti and a 2004 sti clone wanting to kno if I should go open atmosphere or 50/50 for the bov on my 2011

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Just joined own a 2011 sti and a 2004 sti clone wanting to kno if I should go open atmosphere or 50/50 for the bov on my 2011

Welcome. Got pics of the rides? How about any mods or plans for them?

I'd stay stock on bpv as this will give your best drivability and idle. Your ECU likes this.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
welcome! pics and details.

but yeah, from what i understand staying full recirc is best. If you let metered air out the cars afr's go off. doesnt sound as cool though!

ZackUSAF82

Welcome, definitely stick with the stock valve. If you want to hear the stocker, switch out the intake. AEM and Cobb make the best (IMO) for the car...if you get the Cobb make sure you get the airbox as well. Oh and you'll need a tune as well so it's definitely not a cheap mod.

One thing you can do without tuning the car to hear the spool and some of the stock BPV is to delete the silencer (big assed jug) on the stock intake, relatively easy to do in an hour or two. Plenty of YouTube vids on it if you're interested.

Alter3go

I have a 2013 STI and let me tell you your car doesn't like building up pressure to push that spring inside the that BPV/BOV regardless if it's on full recirc, hybrid or full atmosphere, and your car will act a bit funny such as sputtering if the spring is set incorrectly depending on the RPM you're trying to release boost and over time this will damage the engine slowly. I'd say CAI with AP will get you a bit of power even though some argue a drop in panel filter is just as good as a CAI. Also gets you the desired sound you're looking for, but I say AP all the way!!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I have a 2013 STI and let me tell you your car doesn't like building up pressure to push that spring inside the that BPV/BOV regardless if it's on full recirc, hybrid or full atmosphere, and your car will act a bit funny such as sputtering if the spring is set incorrectly depending on the RPM you're trying to release boost and over time this will damage the engine slowly. I'd say CAI with AP will get you a bit of power even though some argue a drop in panel filter is just as good as a CAI. Also gets you the desired sound you're looking for, but I say AP all the way!!

Well, to be fair, if one gets a quality bov, it should function properly. I've heard of people having problems with inferior products, but a good one should work as advertised. But the letting metered air out of the system is where the real problem lies, if I understand the situation.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
What about an aftermarket BPV such as Forge?

Alter3go

Well, to be fair, if one gets a quality bov, it should function properly. I've heard of people having problems with inferior products, but a good one should work as advertised. But the letting metered air out of the system is where the real problem lies, if I understand the situation.

The stock BOV is your best choice here. A BOV/BPV should never be replaced unless it is damaged or you have a clear and reasonable reason for doing so.

Here is a good explanation... http://igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?216-Guide-to-BPV-s-and-BOV-s

I have a COBB BPV it's good quality and I have messed with all three setting including monitoring all three driving modes with the AP and adjusting the allen head shaft and locknut for the tensioning spring to release boost at different RPM and my vehicle STAGE 2+ isn't setup for a aftermarket BOV or BPV IMO I don't believe I have enough power to justify this part and money can be better spent elsewhere especially if all you're going for is sound. I am going to have to agree with Holy with the stock setup is your best bet. Your car will idle funny and will backfire at higher RPM range not speaking for every product, but Because your engine has to work slightly harder to pressurise a small spring inside to release boost it doesn't sound like much but it makes a huge difference on functionality of your vehicle.

Speaking of which I have a COBB BPV laying around for sale lol

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Cobb's bpv was a piece of junk for me. Failed in a year. Wouldn't hold pressure. Sometimes didn't feel like it would release it. Ran it in full recirc.
I bought because I bought into the hype that the stocker wasn't up to higher boost pressures. Waste of cash.
Stocker is still going strong at nearly 21 lbs of boost.