Next step

stiorbust

Assuming that the car will tune ok ok the dyno today I want your input on my next step for an upgrade: here is my small list:
2008 sti
Agency cattless downpipe
3" baffless center pipe
Hks single 4.25 " tip muffler
1 step colder ngk plugs
Cobb ap
Injen cold air intake not installed and running oem stock airbox and filter
Thoughts?
Grant Sampson via tap a talk

ZachTTLM

Can't go wrong with suspension upgrades either. Great way to better feel your investment from the power adders and tune :)

ZachTTLM

Good point. Sways! :tup:

Sway bars for sure as he mentioned, also match with a good set of endlinks. I recommend Whiteline front and rear 24mm adjustables with matching endlinks. We also recommend bushing upgrades such as rear diff mount bushing kit, subframe lock down kit, shifter bushings, trans bushings. These are all low cost upgrades that will improve your handling. If you are using for a street car more than track a set of H&R or Swift lowering springs with a set of Koni yellow adjustable struts will really make this car grip, respond, and even more fun to drive.

stiorbust

I actually replaced my very leaky catback with a megans racing unit. Much quieter. Back to the quad tip I go. My single hks was way too loud and my tuner had a misorder that he sold me it dirt cheap so i had to bite

stiorbust

Ordered a much larger fuel pump from Jordan. Next? Either intercooler or 20g turbo. I want 400whp turn I will work on handeling. Still pissed I have a injen cold air sitting at.my house since they are not advised to be used

Vermont

Up-pipe, EWG, 3-port EBCS (any brand will work) with some larger injectors to fuel all of this(follow up with a protune of course). Then larger turbo, meth injection and larger tmic or a new fmic setup (I would advise against as it increases throttle lag like a muther fucker!) if you went large turbo (Blouch Dom 3 or larger).

Also nothing wrong with the Injen cold air intake! Tell you turner to stop being lazy and to fucking scale the god damn MAF like you are paying him too!!! (say it to him just like that!)

Vermont

Injectors run out on stage2

My list is better and clumps it together so he can get it all tuned at once and make oodals of power instead of having to install a part then the next day get tuned and waste $200-$400 every time just so he can drive.... :goodjob:

Vermont

You'd be surprised what a competent tuner can get out of injectors. And if he's going to get an up-pipe I would recommend getting a header of some sort at the same time.

Depends on his goals man. Remember the majority of after market EL headers cause a loss of spool of bottom end power. I think the only exception are the Killer Bee EL headers, but they out of the price range of most people. The problem with the after market UEL is they all crack due to the heat... SO in all honesty for a daily driven, small turbo car the stock headers are the best option. Now a good PnP job on them does help.

Also I know what you are going to say next, "but UEL headers might be one of the causes of engine failure". Sorry but the JDM 2.0's and the UK STI's all rock UEL stock as well and with out any issues. But this is an argument for another thread. :D

As for injectors. I agree wholeheartedly. I saw a pretty decent jump in power from my stock injectors to my DW850s after it was tuned. Thus why I included it in the first batch of mods to be done. After stage two (plus a fuel pump, although I do think a fuel pump should be part of stage 2), EWG and up-pipe help build and control boost combined with either a MBC or EBCS (tuner preference) you will notice a great increase in spool and the ability to hold boost as well. This way you are all setup for a new stock location turbo. Now if you are rotated or custom then skip the EWG and up-pipe untill you do the turbo. Honestly though IWG is inferior to an EWG in every way except for space constraints.

stiorbust

Ok Idk.if this makes a diff. Today, I gave it.about 80% throttle and the cel came on for the wastegate. I cleared it and it hadn't come ok again. Does that mean I should go.header/uppipe with ewg or stay internal? I'm leaning towards finishing my exhaust then move onto turbo / tmic or fmic

stiorbust

I believe it was po244? I could be wrong I didn't write it down like a fool. It immediately went into limp mode which I was ok with. I watch the boost on the ap all the time and have never seen it spike over 21.5 pds. This is always short burst as I don't drive here like an animal on our bumpy ct roads

stiorbust

Today I installed a deatsch werks 65c fuel pump. The car actually seems pretty sluggish. Fuel pump load looked ok on the ap. Any ideas? Should I and what should I.change the map to? I will open the map on my laptop and give any info I can. Thanks :)

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What map you on now?

stiorbust

The one my tuner made. He used the cobb ap stage 2 as a base and modded it to my needs

stiorbust

Ok, if I install a fmic what needs to be tuned? Can it can it be installed and driven till I get enough $$ for a retune? Can I do it from my cobb? I wanna be able to do these retunes myself