OIL BRANDS WHATS BEST FOR 06 STI

Bang876

This has been ask a million time and is a never ending debate. But I can tell you we have a sticky regarding engine oil, you should look it up. I personally run Amsoil.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Just my $0.02 but I always use this formula in my '04 STi and have used lucas oil products in this same ratio in all my engines over the years from the lawn mower to four wheelers...

K&N Oil filter
3.5 qts. Castrol Edge 5W-30
1.0 qt. Lucas Oil Products Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilizer

I loovvvvvvve the Lucas Oil dude...the engine starts easier, idles smoother, oil temps don't seem to fluctuate as wildly on the track...etc.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Amsoil Dominator is great!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Rotella T6. - Bosch filter.

I change it every 3-4 months. 2,000-3,000 miles.

Been using the combo for about 30,000 miles.

Stock motor. No issues.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I may get flamed for this but, I think changing the oil, whatever oil that may be, on a consistent and regular basis is more important than trying to find the perfect oil. It's no secret forced induction is hard on oils so keeping fresh whatever is of the primary concern. Just make sure you stick with the proper weight. I believe 5-40 to have given the best performance for the spirited daily grind.
As a daily driver, I believe this to be more important than spending tons of money on boutique oils.
If you beat the piss out of your car or track it a lot, then spending the cash for boutique oils may be warranted.... with frequent changes, of course.
Rotella, GC Castrol, Amsoil, Redline, Motul, are all oils I would recommend. Due to my experience and those of others.
Mobil I used for brief time in the Porsche and Subaru and did not like the oil consumption or noisy engine. However, it did fine in cars like my truck and Lexus.
Valvoline, I didn't like the gummy and milky texture it became in previous engines.
Pennzoil was used in my early days, a few times, and its performance was also less than stellar. I would never use this again... Ever.
Regular Castrol was fine and I have no complaints.
Total/Elf was used with ok success in Porsche. Nothing I would run out at look for.
GC Castrol was used for one oil change and although it performed well, local stores never seemed to keep enough in stock.
Motul is the current oil in the Subaru and seems to be on par with the Rotella. Cobb put it in when they tuned my car. However, the price and having to order it defeats my intent to keep using it.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I'm flaming you, lol. You know we don't do that here.

You're 100% right about keeping the oil changed constantly. I ran Castrol 10w-30 in my STi up to 10,000 miles, and changed it everyone 2500. After that I switched to Amsoil Dominator. Is it cheap? Nope, but the best. My STi runs better than it ever has. Super easy to start cold. Idles super smooth, and when I do track it I know its being protected.

I do agree with you though.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'm a redline guy myself but when that is not available... amsoil it is :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Fanbois aside, theres no one oil. There are ones that are worth trying and ones that arent. To pick a specific oil you'll want to do used oil analyses regularly and pick an oil that way. Plus, you may need to change oils as your car goes from break in to a high-miler.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Fanbois aside, theres no one oil. There are ones that are worth trying and ones that arent. To pick a specific oil you'll want to do used oil analyses regularly and pick an oil that way. Plus, you may need to change oils as your car goes from break in to a high-miler.

Forgot about the analysis. I don't do one every oil change but try to get one or two done every year.

STimedic

There's a reason I like using Purolator filters. Look up the diffential bypass pressures on different filters, Purolator is right in line with the factory recommendation of 18-22# (IIRC). Why is this important? Too low of a differential bypass pressure allows oil to bypass the oil filter sooner....not a good thing when you have a filter that is supposed to be filtering. K&N and Mobil1 filters are made by the same manufacturer and bypass at like 6-8#. Think I'm kidding? Look at the specs on either Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts' websites. And that is my diatribe on oil filters and why I use the Purolator PureOne 14610 filter.....that and it's slightly longer than the factory filter. I won't get started on oil choices, but the best two options are either Rotella T6 or AMSOil. Ran both, prefer the T6. And WalMart sells it for $23/gal.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
There's a reason I like using Purolator filters. Look up the diffential bypass pressures on different filters, Purolator is right in line with the factory recommendation of 18-22# (IIRC). Why is this important? Too low of a differential bypass pressure allows oil to bypass the oil filter sooner....not a good thing when you have a filter that is supposed to be filtering. K&N and Mobil1 filters are made by the same manufacturer and bypass at like 6-8#. Think I'm kidding? Look at the specs on either Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts' websites. And that is my diatribe on oil filters and why I use the Purolator PureOne 14610 filter.....that and it's slightly longer than the factory filter. I won't get started on oil choices, but the best two options are either Rotella T6 or AMSOil. Ran both, prefer the T6. And WalMart sells it for $23/gal.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1413097&page=1

23.2 psi according to this string. I understand the info is obtained from Subaru tech. I had heard it at 22 psi IIRC but this clears that thought.

Purolator as per Advance Auto is 14-22. However, per Purolator's website it is only 14-18 psi. Wonder what gives here>?

Advance Auto does not state a psi for the K&N or Mobil filters for the STi, at least MY08 as what I searched for.

Bosch DT+, what I use, was stated at 14-18 psi per AA. However, Bosch website gave no info for PSI. I had read from an independent test that this filter was rated at 25 psi bypass. http://www.thesabrehood.org/thehood/archive/index.php/t-3849535.html

Dunno if the last statement is true but nevertheless interesting.

I didn't search Autozone.

I have heard that the Bosch DT+ and Pureone filters are identical inside, I am buying both this weekend and cutting them open. I am also sending an email to Purolator and Bosch to confirm the bypass pressure ratings. I will do so in both the factory fit versions and the extended versions, PL14610 / PL14612 and DT3300 / DT3323.

STimedic

I think that Bob the Oil Guy link was the very same article I read a few years back that opened my eyes a bit.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Yep. Those guys can get down and dirty with the oil talk.

I did find this filter from Purolator. P/N: PL14460. It has an advertised bypass PSI of 20-25. It's o.d. is about 1/2" larger but overall it looks comparable. The most important part is it's gasket is very, very close to say the oem fit NAPA/WIX: 2.475 for the WIX vs. 2.491 for the Purolator. I smell experimentation, anyone?

I did a bunch of researching and found only the manufacturers for Purolator, WIX/NAPA and K&N to advertise the bypass PSI, at least on their manufacturer sites.

I looked at: Amsoil, Mobil, Fram, WIX, NAPA, Purolator, Royal Purple, Bosch, STP (no makey the filter nemore?) Motorcraft and K&N.

Purolator and Bosch I am putting a call to.
Amsoil: JJ can you get the bypass pressure for this filter?
K&N: 11-17 psi
Subaru blue (Honeywell/Fram) Nothing from the manufacturer but all of the net chatter points to 23 psi as spec by Subaru. And why wouldn't they be since Subaru specs them. However, the filter media and construction is shit.
The rest I am not bothering with.

WIX/NAPA advertise theirs to be dead nuts on with the Subaru spec of 23 psi and 23 psi, period. Their is no range.

I will be cutting the WIX to take a look at the filter media and construction. This may be the one we all want/need. Unless the PL14460 fits and seals, then we will have more!

STimedic

WIX makes the AMSOil filters. Also, I might be down to experiment, I'll be putting my oil cooler in soon. The important part is: is the thread pitch the same?

And that's odd on the filter, last I read it, I remember it being a bit higher, but hey, look at what I've started.

Last edited:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
No wonder AMSOIL has WIX advertised on their site. I had wondered why.

Yes, the thread is 20x1.5. So it should work.

This is a good thing you started. Hopefully we'll come away with some knowledge and maybe put to rest some of this oil debate... Lol not likely as this seems to be the most feverish debate of any car topic.
I can remember when the last canned oil and leaded gas pump went bye bye. Now that was a debate!