Other Motors

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I love the STI, but the motor seems a little fragile--especially in high HP builds. What other compact engines could you theoretically swap into the STI and keep the AWD? Is something like the porche 911 engine small enough to drop in? I dont know much about transmissions and all that, but could it work without spending a large fortune? Any other motors?

This is for my "if i win the lottery" build ;)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
With some time and fabrication skills the RB26 twin turbo an AWD transmission combo looks like a good candidate.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
With some time and fabrication skills the RB26 twin turbo an AWD transmission combo looks like a good candidate.

Holy crap! Has it been done yet? That would so nasty!!! :shock:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Wouldnt that be a bit long for our engine bay? I havent really seen a porsche motor out of the car, but given the layout, it seems like they must be at least somewhat compact.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Wouldnt that be a bit long for our engine bay? I havent really seen a porsche motor out of the car, but given the layout, it seems like they must be at least somewhat compact.

If you can wedge an LS engine in there I think you could probably get a lot in there.
Given the price of the Porsche engine, in general, I dunno. That would be pretty expensive.

Having done motor swaps in jeeps, I'm kinda familiar in what needs to be done to match different engines and transmissions. Though, I just don't know what kinda support their is for this type of work on a Subaru?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
and...awd? Hasnt everyone who's done the LS swap made it RWD?

I dunno. Just seen it and never really looked in depth.
I would imagine given how far forward the stock motor sits a motor swap would be a pain if you were to retain the stock drivetrain.