Over boosting Issues

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
To start, dump the cobb off the shelf tune and get a tune specific to your vehicle. Every vehicle is different and responds differently to mods.

After you get a tune, you can have the overboost limits changed to flag at a different boost level that is within allowable limits. Per: you run 21psi constantly but set the overboost to 23. This way when you get that initial boost spike, it will not set the fault unless it stays at or above 23psi.

JD_88

Hi everyone,

I joined this forum because I suspect my car is experiencing over boosting issues. Although I want to say I don't wail on the turbo in high gear at low RPMs, the symptoms I'm experiencing sound the same as described by the OP, so idk.
When I start boosting, sometimes, the whole turbo kicks back. Once it kicked so hard it kicked the whole car and I pulled over.
After reading this thread I realized I had an aftermarket boost controller installed when i had my car tuned. I up'd the settings one day and didn't think much of it. No problems until I decide to boost kind of hard. I adjusted it back down to about midway. If the problem persists I'll be sure to visit back. I'm really glad I found this thread!:tup:

Question though:

what if the tuner shop didn't account for over boost? What Could potentially happen? Im pushing 21 psi no problem, but I'm thinking I should have it toned down a bit. Pushing 317 whp on mustang dyno..

BTW what does WOT mean?
in reading other threads that make mention of this indefinable acronym for me, I gather that I means [Wail - On - Turbo].
Or something close to? Thanks

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
First and foremost, welcome to IGOTASTI!
Second, WOT = wide open throttle.
Third, the tuner should have accounted overboosting in the tune. If your peak is 21, then say 23 should have been the limit if your car ever overboosted to immediately get a fuel cut. [MENTION=1069]35r[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=3416]WRB_STi[/MENTION] [MENTION=3516]zax[/MENTION] [MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION]

Someone more knowledgeable can help you out with this more, just wait for them to chime in! :tup:

35r

I dont know if this was already stated, i didnt read through the posts. But One thing to take into consideration is the fact that it is getting cooler out as winter approaches. And on a cool night you will see slight boost spikes. It isnt uncommon to see a few lb increase.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Personally, I would never increase the boost level on my own after flashing the tune. This is just begging for blown ringlands. There's even dozens of internet memes that go something like this "hold on dude, let me turn up the boost another psi or two...
...BOOM clunk clunk...there went the motor."

JD_88

Reading through some threads, I'm realizing I should be counting my blessings because I'm seeing ringland failure on cars relatively new. The time I over boosted so hard it kicked the car back (forward actually :-o) as if I had stalled it whilst engaging first gear, except at 90 mph, Why my engine didn't blow up that night is a head scratcher. Similar to the television show called "I shouldn't be alive", there should be a thread for my boxer engine to tell about it's near death experience. ..I'm glad I know this now, too-high boost = ringland failure. Can the pressure of over boosting blow a head gasket also?

thanks folks

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
The tune is the biggest factor in blown ringlands. Closely followed by abusing the motor, such as repeatedly bouncing off the rev limiter.

35r

The biggest factor in blown ringlands is the fact that they are improperly spaced from the factory. Yes beating on the car and bouncing off the rev limiter does not help. But Every owner will have failure at some point if you don't get rid of those shit stock pistons.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The biggest factor in blown ringlands is the fact that they are improperly spaced from the factory. Yes beating on the car and bouncing off the rev limiter does not help. But Every owner will have failure at some point if you don't get rid of those shit stock pistons.
2015 models included, correct? (Basically any EJ257 engine from FHI) :lol:

JD_88

2015 models included, correct? (Basically any EJ257 engine from FHI) :lol:

lol. For having [again] changed the look of the STi, addressing some key weaknesses in the 2015 EJ25 engine would have been be well justified, IMO. I think a stoker EJ25 in the stock STi would bring the badge name STi new respect, but I digress. Over boosting issue resolved :tup: :tup: