Over Engineering Forester Build

Over Engineering

Basic Member
Over Engineering's Forester Build

Here is my Member's Journal! Hope you guys like it!

What it looked like when it was at the dealer:
D32209.jpg

Bought it used with 23,000 miles on it in December 2009.

Pic From Latest Photo Shoot:
DSC_5272.jpg

DSC_5302.JPG

(The car has since been lowered a bit more!)
Interior/Gauges:
OEM Boost Gauge Installed
Innovate LC-1 Wideband
LCD Display Multi Gauge (Pics)
JDM Forester STi front and rear seats (Pics)
DVD/Nav in Factory JDM Nav Location
2007 STi Shifter Trim and Boot(Pics)
Custom Sequential Shift Light (Video Here)

Handling Mods:
'04 STi Struts
Prodrive Red Springs
Whiteline Com-C Front Strut Mounts
Group-N Rear Strut Mounts
'05 STi Rear Sway and Mounts
SPT Lateral Links with Spherical Bearings
Custom Rear Trunk Bracing: Strut Tower Bar, "V" Bars, and "X" Bars (Thread)
STi Front Control Arms
Saab 9-2X Aero Steering Rack

Wheels/Brakes:
2011 STi 18x8.5 Wheels (Info and Pics)
Custom 15mm Hubcentric Wheel Adapters
Dunlop SP Sport 600 245/40-18 Tires
WRX 4/2 Pot Brakes
Goodridge Stainless Lines
Hawk HPS Pads
STi Master Cylinder and Brake Booster
TiC Master Cylinder Brace

Engine/Power/Exhaust:
STi TMIC (Black Thermal Coating to Increase Heat Transfer)
Custom Hood Scoop Splitter (Pics!)
SPT Intake and Intake Heat Shield
SPT Turbo Heat Shield
Walbro Fuel Pump
Grimmspeed EBCS
Green Performance Filter (Pics and Info)
Air Pump Removal (Pics)
Moore Performance Stock Location Twin Scroll Header and Uppipe (Pics)
TD05H-18G Center Section
Custom Modified VF37 Exhaust Housing to accept the TD05H Turbine Wheel
Custom Moore Performance Divorce Twin Scroll Downpipe with 1" Steel Flange (Open Dump) (Pics)
Custom Moore Performance 3" Catback with SpinTech Muffler (Pics and Video)

Exterior:
Internal Aluminum Light Bar
JDM STi Hood Scoop
Front Grill 2.5XT Badge (Pics!)
Custom Carbotron Rear Bumper Trim (near exhaust) (In Progress Pics!)

Mods In Progress:
Moore Performance Prototype Battery Tie Down
Custom Intercooler Spray System (Temp Controlled Auto Mode)
OmniPower 3 Bar MAP Sensor
GM Intake Air Temp Sensor
Open Source Speed Density Tuning!

Planned Mods:
Trailing Arm Group N Bushings
Custom Skid Plates

Previous Mods:
Blouch TD05-16G Thermal Coated (8cm hot side and ported to match uppipe ID)
Moore Performance Prototype Equal Length Headers (Final Pics) (Install Pics)
Moore Performance Prototype 4-2-1 Up Pipe (Final Pics) (Install Pics)
2" Strut Top Spacers (Pictures and Drawings)

Other Projects In Progress:
2" Camber Correcting Strut Top Spacers for Lifted Foresters

Calculations and Other Information
Front Roll Center Calculations
Rear Roll Center Calculations
Scrub Radius Calculations
Ride Height Measurements for STI suspension and spacers: Link
Increasing Flow on Stock Injectors
Moore Performance Down Pipe (Pics!)

Awards and Recognition:
Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix 2011 - 2nd in Modified Subarus (Pics)
Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix 2012 - 1st in Modified Subarus
Feel Your Boobies Charity Car Show - Best of Show (Pics)

Here are the great shops that have really helped me out along the way and made this build what it is so far!

Sponsor%252520Banner.jpg

LOTS more to come, stay tuned!
(Updated 6/07/2012)

Last edited:

Over Engineering

Basic Member
What thermal coating did you use on the topmount and did you guys do it or did you send it off? Been looking around for thermal dispersants, only one I have so far was used on the coldside of my turbo, but I'm not wanting to ship every part for thermal disperant coating to UT. Also, what yeargroup did you pull the TMIC from? I know I'm hounding you right off the bat, but I'm interested! :tard:

Its an 04-07 STi TMIC, the coating was done by Moore Performance since this was the turbo and intercooler that they used to have on their shop car. They have a local shop that does all their ceramic and other coatings. I will get more info on the specifics.

The cold side of my turbo is done with the same coating as the intercooler and the hot side is getting ceramic coated. Here is a pic of the TMIC and turbo, but I am not using that hot side as its only 7cm.

P1030563.JPG

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Fuji these guys are about 45 minutes from me. Good times coming! Mike once it stops raining we gotta do pics with our cars.

Over Engineering

Basic Member
Are those lights behind the grill?

Yup!! They are Hella 500FF lights, there are also red Hella Supertones next to them as well.

Check out my design thread over on a forester site:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f85/internal-aluminum-light-bar-my03-08-build-thread-67412/

I ended up doing a mini production run of these custom light bars for some people that wanted them. This is how the final parts came out:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mike.vindler/LightBar?authkey=Gv1sRgCJeE64eb1eyvgQE#

CRZTRBO keeps telling me how much you guys like custom fab'd stuff around here. Just wait until you see the custom TMIC splitter I had to make to get the STi TMIC to work properly. Pics will be up once I have free time! (Oh and when its not raining!)

Over Engineering

Basic Member
Fuji these guys are about 45 minutes from me. Good times coming! Mike once it stops raining we gotta do pics with our cars.

Hook me up with some IGOTASTI goodies and I will hook you up with some good photos! Ha ha.

I was thinking it might be cool to go to the top of a parking garage around sunset in the middle of downtown. Should make for cool colors with all the buildings around.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I think we can work something out I'm sure, LOL. Once it stops raining and the weather gets warm we will have to plan something for sure. :tup:

Over Engineering

Basic Member
Finished my TMIC splitter. There isn't an OEM splitter available what will fit the Forester with an STi TMIC. There is one aftermarket option but at ~$375 there is no way I would pay that for some sheet metal. So I designed up a sheet metal part in CAD, had it laser cut and assembled it myself.

I kept it simple to keep costs low, real low. I anodized it red, thought it might be a little much but you can only really see it if you look directly into the scoop. It adds a really nice subtle red accent that goes well with the red supertones in the grill and the red on the custom 2.5XT badge on the front.

Here are the pics:

DSC_8995.JPG

DSC_8997.JPG

DSC_8998.JPG

DSC_8999.JPG

I am really pleased with how it came out, the fit is just about perfect! I had to do a couple tweaks to overall I like it.

STimedic

I knew that wasn't going to work on my application, hence why I asked if he'd be willing to develop one for mine.

Over Engineering

Basic Member
I would definitely be willing to lend a hand, it would be really hard to do it without a vehicle in person to test with though. I kept making 1:1 prints of the final shape and cutting it out on foam core. Test fit then adjust then repeat LOL.

Over Engineering

Basic Member
My friend and I worked late into the night over the past two nights, got the Red 4/2 pots on my car along with STi master cylinder, booster and stainless lines. On the first night the only thing we accomplished was changing a ball joint! The bolt was completely seized in there so I had to drill and re-tap it! Last night I finally got to doing the brakes. It is so nice now that I have some pedal feel!

Now I will have to go out and do another photo shoot!

CRZTRBO - you want to come along when I do it?

bugeye_fever

Niiice, I've been following their build up on that piece.

EDIT- Also, I'd love to read a write up on the new header and see some graphs. Good luck!

Last edited:

Over Engineering

Basic Member
Niiice, I've been following their build up on that piece.

EDIT- Also, I'd love to read a write up on the new header and see some graphs. Good luck!

Got it tuned last night. It made 270/305 at 17psi. The boost was coming in late so we are pretty sure the internal wastegate actuator is being blown open. Time for a better one. Still made good power though!

I will have the graph posted soon but for now here is a video!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Freaking awesome. I need to talk to Ryan about header pipes for my STi and get it on the dyno. I really need to stop down and get them all on the site. We need to also do a picture shoot. :)