Potential Daily Driver Setup for 2005 STi

SirMyztiq

Hello y'all!

After a long time of researching and gobbling up information about where to go when looking to get a little more power out of our cars, I have come to a general "plan". I was Protuned a couple of months ago, but with my first "track" experience under my belt, and my 1/4 time being so...lame, I want a little more.

My goal was to have a daily driver STi that will see occasional track days(which I had my first one a week ago, shit my pants. Alot) and sometimes even some 1/4 mile runs, but that isn't my main goal(beating the heck out of...everybody, just some) I would like to keep it under 400WHP in order to maintain a somewhat reliable engine build without having to do an engine rebuild. Since it's for street use mostly, I would definately like to keep the low end boost so that there is no appearent lag and I can zip around town. I have met some people that think turbo "lag" is a thing of the past with current turbos. But I'm trying to stay away from rotated turbos b/c I don't want to sacrifice reliability(the engine has a good 100K miles) and I hate lag. Maybe down the line in a couple of years once I pay it off completely and buy a better "daily driver" and keep this one for fun use only. Ideally, a car putting out 350-390 whp(and whatever that might be on "slower" dynos, haven't thought that much into dynos) with a good quick grip is what I want.

With that said, I decided on a Blouch TD06H 20GXT-R 8cm^2 turbo. Why? Well, they are bolt on turbos, create a nice power gain and keep the "zip" in the car by reducing lag. At least, that is according to my online sources.

What do you guys think? Would a turbo like this fit my needs?

Of course, I'm leaving out a thorough list of accompanying mods for this. But here is the current version:
1.) TopFeed ID 1000 injectors(or maybe side-feed DW850, but bigger for the future)
2.) Fuel Pump: DW 300
3.) Meth/alky Injection(tuned at a safe level, with fail safe)...optional, still debating. Would like input.
4.) GS Port and Polish + X-Pipe (or maybe headers?)
5.) Fuel Rails
6.) TGV Deletes
7.) APS 70mmm
8.) I'm still debating whether I should do a IWG or an EWG. I get mixed feelings about this setup. I'm leaning towards EWG b/c of the gains in turbo response and lower end torque however, I'm a little confused when it comes to whether or not keeping the stock boost solenoid is good for EWG or an EBCS?

Sensors and gauges to manage all this(still in progress):
1.) Wideband AFR
2.) EGT Sensor
3.) MAP Sensor
4.) Oil catch can
5.) Prodrive Boost Solanoid OR EBCS?

I'm already at Stage II. But I was wondering if maybe going with a full 3" TBE would produce better results. If so, by how much? I currently have the COBB DP with a Greddy Ti-C exhaust.

Please, feel free to add to the list and give me recommendations. I want to put together a good list before I send it out to two tuners that were recommended to me here in Dallas. I don't want to seem TOO clueless lol

Last edited:

SirMyztiq

Personally, I would leave the turbo for last. The VF39 can still get some power from changing fuel to E85 if it's near you, more injector, a larger topmount and of course a header/up-pipe. The 2.5" exhaust is restrictive, it's up to how you want to set her up.

I looked into E85. However, the nearest source is about 35 minutes from where I'm at, so I dispatched that quickly. However, I didn't entertain the idea at all. So maybe you're right, start with the setup and make the switch to E85 then get the turbo last.

But, that lack of availability of E 85 is a strong deterrent.

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
You can upgrade to a GR topmount IC for relatively cheap for some reasonable gains.

You should definitely upgrade the OEM BCS. Personally, EBCS is my vastly preferred method, but some people i respect swear by MBCs. Either way, you want to upgrade your boost control. Along those lines, the EWG will help control boost but will be LOUD at WOT unless you get it routed back to the DP. I remember reading some reviews of the 1.5xtr (very similar in size to the 20gxtr) where the IWG was doing a great job and EWG wasnt really necessary.

For your fuel pump, you probably only need the DW200, but its never bad to have more wiggle room. If you're doing fuel rails, TGVs and injectors, you have literally 0 reason to stay side-feed. Just upgrade to top-feed!